Subject: byplua
Date: Dec 20, 2005 @ 02:42
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

nice going peter & jimi
& i see parts of the canal are still visible by satpic
here
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=poland&ll=51.508742,23.646011&spn=0.025324,0.082355&t=h&hl=en
as you can judge if you compare it with the russky
topo
so all else being equal
the canal ought to still be visible at surface level
in the tripoint area too

--- Peter Smaardijk <smaardijk@...> wrote:
> BYPLUA:
> http://www.fuw.edu.pl/aw2p2/misc/konpol/sobibor.html
> "The exact tripoint is relatively difficult to find,
> since the
> Bielorussian-Ukrainian border runs on the other side
> of the Bug and
> the respective boundary markers can only be seen
> from a distance, and
> the sight is blocked by vegetation as well.

HI! There may be other reasons it's hard to find too.
According to both this old Soviet map:
http://sunsite.berkeley.edu:8085/x-ussr/100k/M-34-024.jpg
and this not-so-old Belarussian text (and visit try
report):
the BYPLUA tripoint is situated, at least
historically, where the south edge of the Mostickij
Canal would intersect the middle of the Western Bug
River. Nor am I aware of anything more official or
more up to date regarding its presumed or actual
location ... which is thus, evidently, not in
alignment with either of the nearby Poland-USSR marker
pairs Number 1122 and 1123. But I examined these
zoomable photos anyway for evidence of this canal; and
seeing none, wonder if it too could have gotten so
overgrown, or if there is at least any allusion to it
in the Polish text, as it purports to point out what
could still very well be an elusive objective?
Cheers,
Jimi