Subject: nyonqc location was Re: special congrats may be in order for czdepl improvement
Date: Dec 08, 2005 @ 06:56
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

funny how we landed a minute apart

& let me just insert these comments this time as it is getting late

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Hugh Wallis" <hugh@o...> wrote:

> I would like to determine, from copies of treaties, legislation or whatever,
> the exact line of the ONQC border. I had no success in find this online
> earlier today. Not sure if it would be in Federal or Provincial archives.
> The border was probably set at Confederation (July 1st, 1867) if not before
> that (possibly even as far back as being defined as the border between Upper
> and Lower Canada) - this will be interesting research.

great
me too
& a good place to begin was the canadian border bible
aka the boundaries of the canadian confederation
by norman l nicholson 1979
which explains that all canadian waters both salty & sweet were still federal crown territory
as of that late date

so the allocation to the provinces in the saint lawrence is evidently quite recent

1980s or 1990s i believe i later learned

& i think federal government would be the more propitious direction to search in

> When I get time I will check the US and Canadian topos for consistency as
> regards their depiction of the CAUS border but I think they are bang on in
> agreement with each other.

not so

this is what i have been saying

canada shows an interpolated first segment & turnpoint just southwest of saint regis that
the usa doesnt show & the original 1814 treaty doesnt mention

it could be the result of a later treaty we dont yet know about because the ibs gives coords
for this crazy mon andrew ellicott that could mean something
but i am almost perfectly sure this monument cant be where they say it is
& that their data are at least somewhat jumbled if not worse

& that could have been where canada went wrong too
if she did
& if there has not in fact been any change in the sequence since 1814
as the usa still seems to believe

This will be easy to check in my mapping software
> by marking the turn points on one map and seeing if they coincide with those
> on the other map when it is loaded into the software.

great & i hope you will so we can check these ibs coords against both maps
& also check our distance measurements & computations
but you can also see the glaring difference i am talking about immediately with your naked
eye if you will just look first where i just said to the left of st regis on both your recent
map attachments