Subject: Re: The Journal of Andrew Ellicott
Date: Oct 19, 2005 @ 20:40
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

lowell

> >> nice
> >>
> >> We might, indeed! If there is conjunction between
> >> Ellicott and the public land
> >> survey, the only candidates for tripoints upon
> >> Ellicott mounds would be the
> >> intersections of Mississippi county lines with LAMS.
> >> This is explained in the
> >
> > i understand
> > & anticipated or followed your entire explanation
> > without surprise or even a hiccup
> > except i dont see why the intersections or junctions
> > of county lines with the ellicott line aka public land
> > baseline eastward of lams are not also tripoint
> > candidates
> > in mississippi at least
> > if not alabama too
> > tho i do understand why not louisiana or florida
> >
> > if you had said & or mean
> > the only candidates for tripoints upon ellicott mounds
> > on the lams line would be the junctions of mississippi
> > county lines with the lams line
> > i would have understood & agreed immediately
>

> I referred only to LAMS and should have said so. I had not studied the line
> east of the Pearl River enough to have an opinion. Of course, that part of
> Mississippi east of the Pearl is within the purview of the St. Stephens
> Meridian. I have just examined the point where Ellicott's line crosses the
> Pearl on TerraServer at http://tinyurl.com/by92a . The survey east of the Pearl
> seems to be profoundly unorthodox! The sections north of the St. Stephens Base
> Line have only a bit more than half of the north-south extent that they should!
> I can't explain why. Who knows whether or not their lines' junctions with the
> base line are intended to be at precise one-mile intervals?

well i certainly dont know yet either
but since i am most intrigued by the possibilities of ellicott mound multipoints
i have projected your range corner guesses in the washington meridian so as to include
along with ellicotts point d and mound 24
every 6th mound thru the 102nd inclusive
thus producing 17 additional hot range corner prospects to add to your leading 2

& you probably already anticipated these too

but among them
at mound 30 & 60 & 102 are the hottest 3 county&parish tripoint prospects
namely
ameawi or amity east feliciana wilkinson
ampita or amity pike tangipahoa
& mawawa or marion walthall washington
respectively

obviously less promising than the range corners but still possible are a few of the cleaner
looking section corners
such as those corresponding to mounds 29 & 43 etc
which perhaps look close enough to invite a look too

but of these
mound 77 offers a most plausible example of all
& a 4th county&parish tripoint prospect
namely
piwawa or pike walthall washington

on the saint stephens or all mississippi side of the pearl
it seems similarly likely that the westward projection of ranges from the ellicott rock has
produced tricounty point mounds
at both lamape or lamar marion pearl river
& falape or forrest lamar pearl river
as well as some bilateral county line mound prospects at various range & section corners
etc

but the huge break at the mobile river
in both the mound & public land survey sequences
throws any such hoped for harmonic convergences east of there into much greater doubt

even so
i will want to examine 1 alfl prospect in particular
on the way to mardi gras
at cogewa or covington geneva walton

but not the 2 other alfl prospects

which i can already confirm are probably busts

so thats a full octave of hot ellicott mound tripoint prospects
to add to bachwa in the okefenokee
which i will also try again
on the way to the keys in january
if they are still there