Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: The Journal of Andrew Ellicott
Date: Oct 19, 2005 @ 04:05
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Please see my insertions below.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA

----- Original Message -----
From: "aletheia kallos" <aletheiak@...>
To: <BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com>; "Boundary Point"
<boundarypoint@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 18, 2005 2:36 AM

> --- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:
>
>> > who knows
>> > we may even get another multipoint out of such a
>> nice
>> > convergency
>>
>> We might, indeed! If there is conjunction between
>> Ellicott and the public land
>> survey, the only candidates for tripoints upon
>> Ellicott mounds would be the
>> intersections of Mississippi county lines with LAMS.
>> This is explained in the
>
> i understand
> & anticipated or followed your entire explanation
> without surprise or even a hiccup
> except i dont see why the intersections or junctions
> of county lines with the ellicott line aka public land
> baseline eastward of lams are not also tripoint
> candidates
> in mississippi at least
> if not alabama too
> tho i do understand why not louisiana or florida
>
> if you had said & or mean
> the only candidates for tripoints upon ellicott mounds
> on the lams line would be the junctions of mississippi
> county lines with the lams line
> i would have understood & agreed immediately

I referred only to LAMS and should have said so. I had not studied the line
east of the Pearl River enough to have an opinion. Of course, that part of
Mississippi east of the Pearl is within the purview of the St. Stephens
Meridian. I have just examined the point where Ellicott's line crosses the
Pearl on TerraServer at http://tinyurl.com/by92a . The survey east of the Pearl
seems to be profoundly unorthodox! The sections north of the St. Stephens Base
Line have only a bit more than half of the north-south extent that they should!
I can't explain why. Who knows whether or not their lines' junctions with the
base line are intended to be at precise one-mile intervals? The map also shows
a survey marker on the line just east of the Pearl's abandoned meander, but it's
on a section line coming from the south.

>> Even if the initial point of Louisiana's St. Helena
>> Meridian is identical with
>> that of Mississippi's Washington Meridian, and if
>> both are identical with
>> Ellicott's mound 24, only the Mississippi section
>> corners could be singing in
>> unison with Ellicott's mounds. The Louisiana
>> section corners would be expected
>> to be out of sync.
>
> right
> no problem
> but i was singing only of the washington & saint
> stephens meridians
>
>> An exception, though, seems to be the range line at
>> the valley wall, 24 miles
>> west of the principal meridian. Here, the Louisiana
>> and Mississippi range lines
>> match. This is inexplicable in terms of the public
>> land survey, but it makes
>> sense in light of the practical geography. The
>> Louisiana range line could
>> hardly have been surveyed from the south because
>> it's only about five miles long
>> before it encounters the Mississippi River, which is
>> the limit of the land
>> covered by the St. Helena Meridian. Since it had to
>> be surveyed from the north,
>> it matches the neighboring Mississippi range line.
>> I might also match
>> Ellicott's original point D.
>
> with you loud & clear
>
> indeed at terraserver it looks like your
> hypothetically preferred point d & mile mound 24 will
> both be interesting if not challenging tries
>
> http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=15&X=1592&Y=8575&W=1&qs=%7cangola%7cla%7c
> where it may be difficult but necessary to go
> unnoticed by the guards

The former property of the Louisiana State Penitentiary east of the range line
at the valley wall has been transferred to the Louisiana Department of Culture,
Recreation, and Tourism. It is now the Tunica Hills State Preservation Area.
The LSP remains on the alluvial plain west of the range line. The THSPA is just
now beginning to be developed. I believe that the nearby road is public at
least to the new LSP boundary.

> &
> http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?
> T=1&S=10&Z=15&X=3378&Y=17154&W=1&qs=%7cnorwood%7cla%7c
> where it looks like you can follow the edge of a
> clearcut almost right up to the rather remote target
> point

I interpret the aerial photo as follows: The southwest quadrant from the
initial point is clear-cut forest, but the northeast quadrant is a hay field.
Unless the lands are posted against trespass by hunting clubs or the trails are
gated, I should be able to drive my Jeep Liberty almost to the initial point.
Since there appear to be four differnet landowners, there are four opportunities
for access.

> but did ellicott actually erect a zero mound on the
> steep valley wall
> at point d
> or what does he say about this

His journal does not actually say that he erected a mound at point D, but he did
at each mile eastward and westward, do I think we can assume one there too. A
wooden post would hardly have done the job alone.