Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: The Journal of Andrew Ellicott
Date: Oct 18, 2005 @ 07:36
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:

> > who knows
> > we may even get another multipoint out of such a
> nice
> > convergency
>
> We might, indeed! If there is conjunction between
> Ellicott and the public land
> survey, the only candidates for tripoints upon
> Ellicott mounds would be the
> intersections of Mississippi county lines with LAMS.
> This is explained in the

i understand
& anticipated or followed your entire explanation
without surprise or even a hiccup
except i dont see why the intersections or junctions
of county lines with the ellicott line aka public land
baseline eastward of lams are not also tripoint
candidates
in mississippi at least
if not alabama too
tho i do understand why not louisiana or florida

if you had said & or mean
the only candidates for tripoints upon ellicott mounds
on the lams line would be the junctions of mississippi
county lines with the lams line
i would have understood & agreed immediately

> Even if the initial point of Louisiana's St. Helena
> Meridian is identical with
> that of Mississippi's Washington Meridian, and if
> both are identical with
> Ellicott's mound 24, only the Mississippi section
> corners could be singing in
> unison with Ellicott's mounds. The Louisiana
> section corners would be expected
> to be out of sync.

right
no problem
but i was singing only of the washington & saint
stephens meridians

> An exception, though, seems to be the range line at
> the valley wall, 24 miles
> west of the principal meridian. Here, the Louisiana
> and Mississippi range lines
> match. This is inexplicable in terms of the public
> land survey, but it makes
> sense in light of the practical geography. The
> Louisiana range line could
> hardly have been surveyed from the south because
> it's only about five miles long
> before it encounters the Mississippi River, which is
> the limit of the land
> covered by the St. Helena Meridian. Since it had to
> be surveyed from the north,
> it matches the neighboring Mississippi range line.
> I might also match
> Ellicott's original point D.

with you loud & clear

indeed at terraserver it looks like your
hypothetically preferred point d & mile mound 24 will
both be interesting if not challenging tries

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=15&X=1592&Y=8575&W=1&qs=%7cangola%7cla%7c
where it may be difficult but necessary to go
unnoticed by the guards

&
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?
T=1&S=10&Z=15&X=3378&Y=17154&W=1&qs=%7cnorwood%7cla%7c
where it looks like you can follow the edge of a
clearcut almost right up to the rather remote target
point

but did ellicott actually erect a zero mound on the
steep valley wall
at point d
or what does he say about this

we may have misunderstood earlier to imagine this was
the oldest one
if in fact it was never made into a mound at all

perhaps the surviving x or y or z mound nearest to the
mississippi river
if indeed any of these can still be reached &
identified
will be the oldest mound
or if not
then perhaps the mound 1 mile east of point d

but really no matter about the oldest one
nor even the multipointed ones
yikes did i say that
until we find at least 1 mound on lams of any description

http://mail.yahoo.com