Subject: Of North Carolina and Mexico
Date: Oct 03, 2005 @ 14:34
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I'm still catching up on old posts from during my long hurricane-induced
electrical outage.

Mike D's conversations with the North Carolina authorities give us excellent new
information about that state's counties:

> & he explained to my astonishment that the nc county
> lines run not according to any legal descriptions but
> simply follow the historical precedents of where
> people have been paying their real estate taxes
>
> & he recalled that until about 1960 there werent even
> any official property or county line maps
> but that folks would just go to the county tax office
> & declare how many acres they had
> of cleared & uncleared land
> & pay the taxes accordingly on their own say so
>
> & so the usgs has just had to cobble its county line
> data together by whatever direct or indirect means
> they could find & then assemble
> whether from the occasional surveys or oral history or
> whatever they could pick up in the landscape such as
> stone walls etc

To me, this seems the perfect analogy to the situation regarding the boundaries
of the Mexican states (and of their municipios) and the depiction of such
boundaries on Mexican federal maps.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA