Subject: re high seas jurisdiction
Date: Jul 29, 2005 @ 14:25
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

> Is there not a concept in the law that a person in the high seas or on an
> unclaimed island is subject to the jurisdiction of the nation whose vessel or
> aircraft he last alighted (or if in an unregistered vessel or aircraft, of the
> nation whose port he last departed)? I seem to recall such a thing, but I can't
> put my finger on it.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

sounds fishy to me

also highly uneveryonese

i believe there was some principle of this sort affecting the recently announced high tech
maquiladoras in high seas off california
& not at all afflicting them but somehow enhancing them
tho i forgot exactly how

however
any diminishment of our everyonese sovereignty & jurisdiction over everyones land per se
in the form of some regime of extraterritorial jurisdiction over people in the high seas
based on the last jurisdiction they in any way touched
i rather doubt

in general
the existing applicable law so far as i know is
http://www.oceanlaw.net/texts/genevahs.htm
articles 1 & 2
as slightly amended by
http://www.oceanlaw.net/texts/montevideo.htm
http://www.globelaw.com/LawSea/lsconts.htm
& other subsequent derivations
but i have never seen & wouldnt dream of anything like you are talking about