Subject: Re: Cyprus - SBA Maritime Boundaries
Date: Jul 23, 2005 @ 11:30
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@c...> wrote:
> I just posted in "photos" a smalll version of the map of the nautical
> boundaries that the US State Department created according to input
> from the British, after DoS was unable to get the map attached to the
> treaty.
>
> Anyone who would like the large scan can ask off-line.
>
> It is clear that the eastern SBA forms a closed area - the E & W
> borders meet about 32 nautical miles off shore (within which there are
> international waters eliminating any chance of the area being an
> enclave or an exclave. The British claim 3 miles of sovereign
> territory off shore under existing treaties to which the British
> subscribe, and the Cypriots claim 12.
>
> With the SBA also comprised of a pumping station or whatever it is,
> the sea boundaries would be incomplete, unless the pumping station on
> the coast has no maritime component (and is therefore enclaved). Can
> anyone help with that?
>

> LN

yes
as you have somewhat correctly recalled
the power station was believed to have no maritime component when last reported
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/2158

but also
beyond the claimed territorial seas of 3nm & 12nm from coastal baselines respectively
the boundaries shown on your map were purely hypothetical
as was explained in its accompanying source document
http://www.law.fsu.edu/library/collection/LimitsinSeas/ls049.pdf
& they most probably still are

so here again it is only your idea of what is clear that is confused

assumptive reasoning
while sometimes very useful
can if carelessly applied actually erode clarity

no multipoints however were injured or even considered in the making of these messages