Subject: dalapi & dahiwi of the berkshires
Date: Jul 03, 2005 @ 03:28
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@yahoo.com>)

after another & far longer intermission
the berkshire perfection ensemble try
which was last heard from 5 weeks ago in message 17833
when 19 out of the 44 tripoints in this extraordinary
county had been completed class a
& 8 remained incompletely tried & 17 completely
untried
resumed this morning exactly where it had left off
with

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4704546&e=648265&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
> looks like a 240 foot cake walk
when you may recall my wheels joined my feet & shoes
in giving out simultaneously
just as i reached the rest area indicated on lapi a
mile or 2 west of the target area

> reference map
> http://www.berkshireweb.com/themap/index.html

after hitting my normal stride by missing my turn into
gulf road on the first pass
i quickly realized the mistake & turned back to catch
it on the second

& soon after the road surface turned to dirt &
potholes
i recognized the topological feature the road is named
for gliding by
& began searching intensively at that point for any
sign of the expected lapi & dapi town line crossings

but before i had noticed anything more promising or
suggestive than an old signless signpost
i already reached a hikers parking area situated just
where gulf road crosses the appalachian trail a few
hundred feet into dalton

after turning about there
i returned to the signless post & discovered at its
foot a little dapi rock
aha
& a perfectly promising dapi blaze line heading north
into the woods
to serve as a guide for my little cake walk

& a mossy moist sponge cake walk it was too
but soon culminated in quadricolored success
with festoonery of crimson orange yellow & pink
as is all too faintly suggested by the first photo
attachment

so score 20
& we are back in business

oops i mean pleasure or leisure of course

but what next

for tho it may have seemed an obvious & necessary
place to resume the overall perfection try
my continuing with dalapi directly wasnt at all a
foregone conclusion
but was actually one of several possibilities i was
juggling as i made my way north in the morning
& it had in fact only reemerged on my screen
organically
as a consequence of needing to hit the walmart again
in coltsville before doing anything else today

& having already abandoned in message 17808 any last
pretensions i may once have had to an orderly
progression
i had been keenly aware all morning that i was now
free to cherry pick my next try for the first time
& had in fact decided long before & without hesitation
that it would be the delightfully appealing

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4705679&e=654883&s=25&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
> appears to be near the foot of wahconah falls
> http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/western/wahf.htm
> likely just to the right of the above pic
> which also suggests the 675 foot descent from the
> road
> will be easy

& indeed after a few more wrong turns
it was an easy drive over & up
& an easy walk down to the falls
which were crowded with bathers & other holiday
celebrants

but the tripoint was initially elusive

the topo suggests the marker should be in plain sight
directly above the left bank within view of the falls
but it did not pop out at me as expected

only after clambering all up & down both banks &
scouring the target area carefully did it occur to me
to climb high enough to find the monument from above
for it was standing in plain sight but set back a
short ways
atop a ledge that had hidden it from my view at brook
level

wahconah falls is the blurry white diagonal area
behind the monument in the second photo attachment

the state park pic must have been taken with a faster
camera

this is the first tripoint i have seen or heard of
that is in earshot or eyeshot of a waterfall

score 21

& well you can imagine i was already on a roll again
with that
but the day too was waxing warm & soporific & buggy
so i decided to go for one more simple try
& hopefully make a quick hat trick out of it
by making my way back to dapiwa
aka dalton pittsfield washington
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4697259&e=647958&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
where i had previously aborted almost without having
begun the try
in message 17781

today as i barreled up the road that leads toward the
trailhead
i noticed how all the yards on the east side of the
street backed up against the forested dapi line
which i then decided to try to use as a guideline to
follow for another quarter of a mile into the woods
from the jumpoff at the end of the road

it seemed a sensible plan
& tho there was no blaze line or anything to follow
i also gauged that the sun was in what seemed like
just the right position to use as a guide

but my measured bushwhack across the stream & up the
hill toward the target turned up nothing but some more
seemingly random blazes
of which the berkshires seem particularly loaded for
some reason

& after i scoured the area a while & finally made my
way back to the car
i found that the sun had seemed to move too far & too
fast to have actually been an accurate guide for that
try
& that the elusiveness of the tripoint was therefore
probably caused by my having misread the sun earlier &
thus adopted the wrong bearing

a retry was clearly called for
but not immediately
since i was also more than ready to call it a day
except
while so conveniently in the neighborhood
i was extremely curious to take another peek & try at
the sunken rock of hapiri
aka hancock pittsfield richmond
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&n=4697584&e=636670&s=50&size=l&datum=nad83&layer=DRG25
especially since a recent dry spell had reduced all
the local streams to well within their beds

i found the pond several feet below the top of the
beaver dam & still draining thru it
but there was still no sign of the promised rock top
either

i waded out several feet from the reduced shoreline &
poked around the mucky bottom as far as i dared to
venture out into the quick mud
still without success
but covered enough area to feel fairly confident that
i had at least attained what i would have called a
class b visit if i hadnt known there was actually a
rock waiting to be found there class a

so i resolved to let the level keep falling & to
return again with the necessary flotation & a probing
iron

shades of the manhvt mud turtle
except it is a most enjoyable & secluded place to
spend a warm day
so i am looking forward to relaxing there again soon

can i claim the point in any sense
i wondered

normally i would say so & would call it a hat trick or
multihood
as well as a score of 22 now
or halfway to perfection as it were
but the 44 special rocks of the berkshire perfection
ensemble dont admit of any such compromise

so i leave off again til my next outing with a score
of
21 complete & 8 incomplete & 15 untried

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com