Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Bhutan Exclaves in Tibet
Date: Jun 30, 2005 @ 06:30
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

Len:

Pictures: yes, I do have. But they are buried in a photo album and at the time there were no digicams. Also, the crassest scenes I could not take pictures of, due to "respectfulness". Technology: I remember in the realm of the "hotel" they had a simple apparatus which worked like a burning-lens. In the sunshine, facing the Gurla Mandatta, a kettle of hot water was being prepared within short.

The "hotel's" rooms could not be locked and were separated from each other only by curtains. In the night, there were big black Tibetan dogs resting on soft arm-chairs and howled towards the full moon. Fortunately, when visiting the concrete box over the stream outside at night the hounds did not bark.

I could not see a temple, although this does not mean there was none; also there was no Chinese guard - the only I had met during the entire trip was in Kojarnath towards the Nepalese border.

A Tibetan family from Darchen accompanied us on our parikrama around Mt Kailash, probably in the hope for some business, and I would have wished to have been able "talking" to them more than only exchanging gestures and handing over Dalai Lama pictures.

I do have high respect for the Tibetan people and wish them well. But never would I return to Tibet as a tourist after having seen once how tourism can spoil people.

Wolfgang