Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Lowell - Extraterritoriales Gebiet
Date: May 09, 2005 @ 23:12
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

> of course I know that my message would attract some
> rambling from
> you, but here are short replies

ahh thanx for being so sweet & considerate yourself

& i will endeavor to intertwingle lightly with you
some more here below

> > if it doesnt exist
> > then how can you presume to translate it
> > hahahahaha
>
> Haha, extremely hilarious. I've had better laughs -
> but then again,
> I'm probably not as infinitely funny as you appear
> to be.

my friend you began by prequalifying your offering as
being humorous

hello funnily enough you said

like get ready to laugh everyone ok

& i was only laughing at how amusing you had succeeded
in being

for i was extremely entertained by this

indeed i gave it a rare 5 stars or 5 ha

think about it

if you didnt mean to invite laughter
you should begin with something other than funnily
enough

perhaps i should have laughed out loud first before
speaking to you
so you couldnt possibly have gotten confused & so
becacked yourself again with your cheerfully negative
sanctimonies
but it was you i was laughing at this time the whole
time
& not really myself at all

so i agree with you wholeheartedly
if you mean that what i said wasnt so funny

it was what you yourself said that was so funny

> And if you read my message correctly I was guessing
> as to what was
> meant - I imagine that whoever put up the sign was
> trying so say
> something, and I tried to interpret it.

exactly

for whoever put up that sign very probably didnt know
what they themselves meant
but were only groping for what you yourselves are also
groping for

moreover they may even have been unaccustomed to
german
& only guessing for themselves while trying to talk
normal german

yikes perhaps they were even the resident russians or
americans
since they left a phone number to call for further
clarification if wanted

> > & i would buy extraterritorial waters for example
> in english
> > but only if territorial waters are being implied
> or discussed in
> the same breath
> >
> > but again
> > extraterritorial area
> > in english
> > could at best just mean an area that is out of the
> regular bounds
> in some sense
> > & not at all necessarily an area with any
> specially constituted
> legal status
>
> Well, the word exists, so deal with it. I'm sorry
> that it does not
> fit your philosophy.

yes i know it exists

& it has a meaning

in fact several meanings

but not the meaning you are attributing to it in your
guess
unless you just mean that an extraterritorial area is
an area outside some understood territory

& i can deal with the meaning you are wanting to add
to that
implying some special legal status
just as i deal with hearing you mavens yak like that
all the time

but that doesnt make it any less mistaken of you to
use it that way

however keep it up because by the time the next
dictionary comes out you never know if you will
influence normal usage enough to change it

& it wouldnt be the first or last time an ignorant
usage joined or even supplanted an older one

& really i would rather be silly than sorry

> > so far as i know
> > since 1961 such a status as you are groping to
> express is just
> called inviolability
>
> Unfortunately, English is not my mother tongue, so I
> am naturally
> inferior to you linguistically as well and can only
> "grope", but at
> least I try to make my messages intelligible (unlike
> yourself, may I
> say so).

please i dont see you as unfortunate or inferior but
only equally divine

& if you will keep trying multipunctiliously to
understand me
i predict you will soon succeed if you havent already

> It is not just inviolability, there are certain
> other aspects as
> well, but then again, how should I know? I have only
> studied
> international law for several years at several
> universities, which
> obviously does not qualify me. Too bad.

but again whats so bad

please just illuminate us what you mean
especially as you are so well lit yourself

> And one last word:
>
> Sometimes various BP members wonder why we lose
> members and why old
> members seem to disappear. I venture to say that one
> reason may lie
> in the fact that you apparently love to ridicule and
> attack those who
> do not hold your opinion. I find especially
> distasteful how you
> sometimes poke fun at those who do not have English
> as their first
> language and therefore may have trouble expressing
> themselves.
>
> Cheerio,

thanx & cheers yourself

> Anton
>
> PS: Don't expect any further replies, I have better
> things to do
> (e.g., work).

hahahahaha

> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Anton
> Zeilinger"
> <anton_zeilinger@h...> wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Funnily enough, the word "extraterritorial" does
> not really exist
> in
> > > German, the correct word would be
> "exterritorial", which
> translates as
> > > the English "extraterritorial"; but I guess that
> is what was
> meant here.

ok but it doesnt necessarily translate as that

& it is generally mistaken to say simply that x
translates as y

real translation may rely more on full & correct
combination of usage to give the full context & actual
meaning

& even then it may only be more or less exact

so if some are fool enough to compound a translation
mistake by then weighting it with some extra but
equally inapplicable legal meaning
well then be my guests

thats all i can say