Subject: Re: Lowell - Extraterritoriales Gebiet
Date: May 09, 2005 @ 14:50
Author: Anton Zeilinger ("Anton Zeilinger" <anton_zeilinger@...>)

Hi,

of course I know that my message would attract some rambling from
you, but here are short replies:

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:
> if it doesnt exist
> then how can you presume to translate it
> hahahahaha

Haha, extremely hilarious. I've had better laughs - but then again,
I'm probably not as infinitely funny as you appear to be.

And if you read my message correctly I was guessing as to what was
meant - I imagine that whoever put up the sign was trying so say
something, and I tried to interpret it.

> & i would buy extraterritorial waters for example in english
> but only if territorial waters are being implied or discussed in
the same breath

> but again
> extraterritorial area
> in english
> could at best just mean an area that is out of the regular bounds
in some sense
> & not at all necessarily an area with any specially constituted
legal status

Well, the word exists, so deal with it. I'm sorry that it does not
fit your philosophy.

> so far as i know
> since 1961 such a status as you are groping to express is just
called inviolability

Unfortunately, English is not my mother tongue, so I am naturally
inferior to you linguistically as well and can only "grope", but at
least I try to make my messages intelligible (unlike yourself, may I
say so).

It is not just inviolability, there are certain other aspects as
well, but then again, how should I know? I have only studied
international law for several years at several universities, which
obviously does not qualify me. Too bad.

And one last word:

Sometimes various BP members wonder why we lose members and why old
members seem to disappear. I venture to say that one reason may lie
in the fact that you apparently love to ridicule and attack those who
do not hold your opinion. I find especially distasteful how you
sometimes poke fun at those who do not have English as their first
language and therefore may have trouble expressing themselves.

Cheerio,
Anton

PS: Don't expect any further replies, I have better things to do
(e.g., work).

<anton_zeilinger@h...> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Funnily enough, the word "extraterritorial" does not really exist
in
> > German, the correct word would be "exterritorial", which
translates as
> > the English "extraterritorial"; but I guess that is what was
meant here.

> > "Gebiet" is indeed "area", and I concur with Len that the
> > phrase "extraterritorial area" is not redundant at all!
> >
> > And Len has also touched upon the fact that it has been well
settled in
> > international law that all so-called
extraterritorial/exterritorial

<lnadybal@c...>
> > wrote:
> > > It isn't a redundant phrase - "Extraterritorial" means the same
as it
> > > does in English - the "es" is only a grammatical suffix.
> > >
> > > Gebiet is not solely "territory" as in a political way except
in the
> > > sense of a "place we posses and rule that has dimensions", but
more as
> > > an "area" or "grounds", as in "mein Fachgebiet" which is "my
area of
> > > expertise". Or, as after the end of WW II, when the British
and US
> > > sectors of W. Germany were economically merged and became the
> > > "Vereinigte Wirtschaftsgebiet" a.k.a. "Bi-Zone", where "Gebiet"
was
> > > officially translated to mean "Zone" in the German equal of the
US