Subject: Re: French Properties on St Helena
Date: May 03, 2005 @ 15:23
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@m...>
wrote:
> By "whatever it was or should have been called," I was referring only to the
> name on the sign: "Extraterritoriales Gebiet," which seems to have sparked some
> debate.
>
> I've been experimenting with on-line translation engines (without which I would
> be completely lost in German). The words "Extraterritoriales Gebiet" are
> commonly rendered into English as "Extraterritorial Area," but the word "extra"
> (by itself) translates from German to English as "specially." (Google, Babel
> Fish, and Tsunami all agree.) Perhaps, "Extraterritoriales Gebiet" means a
> "Specially Territorial Area" (which it certainly was), rather than an area that
> was extraterritorial in the usual English-language sense of that term.

ok but can an area even be territorial in normal english
without also being either redundant or confusing or just plain amusing
let alone specially territorial
yikes
or extraterritorial yet
again

yikes
hahahahahaha

but why not just render this somewhat more freely instead as
special area
or
area off limits
or some such simple & natural phrase
& be well satisfied with that
since the german phrase was used as a heading & was followed by a full explanation
anyway
& good german is generally more capacious than good english anyway
& also since there doesnt appear to be anything else particularly suitable that is available
in english anyway
nor anything else particularly true about the actual thing itself anyway
that we might fairly interpolate here without getting either our poetic artistic or translators
license suspended

for what it really seems to me to have sparked is just an extravagance of the usual
miscomprehension
& a semantic debacle rather than any debate
compounded at length by fairly random translation

not that i would prefer any of these distracted aberrations to the others
hahahahaha
but it is all in a days play at the funhouse

& i would say the really good news you certainly have brought is concentrated in the idea
of special

for we certainly have been treated to some special freakin areas here
& even beyond saving us a lot of mental struggle
this new idea & word brings us directly back to our central point of origin

for indeed what is so special about trypointing