Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: French Properties on St Helena
Date: May 03, 2005 @ 05:18
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

By "whatever it was or should have been called," I was referring only to the
name on the sign: "Extraterritoriales Gebiet," which seems to have sparked some
debate.

I've been experimenting with on-line translation engines (without which I would
be completely lost in German). The words "Extraterritoriales Gebiet" are
commonly rendered into English as "Extraterritorial Area," but the word "extra"
(by itself) translates from German to English as "specially." (Google, Babel
Fish, and Tsunami all agree.) Perhaps, "Extraterritoriales Gebiet" means a
"Specially Territorial Area" (which it certainly was), rather than an area that
was extraterritorial in the usual English-language sense of that term.

By the way, at http://tinyurl.com/dtowe there's a review in English of a book in
German that covers the history of these "Alliierte Militärmissionen" in West and
East.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA