Subject: Re: somewhat corrected preliminary annotated punctoscopy of japan
Date: Apr 20, 2005 @ 06:25
Author: Henry Hirose ("Henry Hirose" <silentcity@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos
<aletheiak@y...> wrote:

> like what do you make of the fact that this ainodake
> 3189m point is also depicted as the trijunction of 3
> different colored territories
> here at the 21k zoom level at least
> http://map.yahoo.co.jp/pl?
nl=35.38.25.136&el=138.13.20.508&la=1&fi=1&sc=4

> can we conclude from this that what we have stumbled
> upon in the photos is a subdivisional tripoint on the
> shizuoka yamanashi prefectural border
> or in other words jp2shya3xxyyzz

If you zoom out you will see that two of them are different order
subdivisions. So this isn't a real tripoint.

> are all these provinces & triprovincial points you
> mention below still extant
> or just ghosts
> because in their case
> it seems you really may have found a true
> multipointing society

The site I referred to wasn't a multipointing society. The site
owner liked certain names that reflected a past tripoint. I think
the emphasis is very much on names and not points.

> & have any of these 3province peaks by any chance also
> become prefectural tripoints

Some are and some aren't. The best I can do is to direct you to the
Wiki sites for prefectures and provinces:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Japan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prefectures_of_Japan

> or exactly what is the relationship between provinces
> & prefectures

Provinces were mostly consolidated into prefectures. Too bad most
of this info is not available in Enlgish. I find that much of East
Asian premodern history is just ignored by Western language sources.

> so
> fortunately i think
> more questions than anyone could hope to shake a stick
> at

I can give you descriptions of Japanese historical geography but
since I am not a multipointer, I can't really help you there.

HH