Subject: Re: capitals or administrative centers for small places
Date: Apr 17, 2005 @ 02:41
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Thanks, for the update, Len. You're obviously more current on the
postal
> affairs of the three Freely Associated States (Marshalls,
Micronesia, and Palau)
> than am I. The last I knew, the US Postal Service was still running
their post
> offices for them. Now, you say that they're running their own. In
any case,
> their post offices are former USPS offices, so my basic premise
(that the CIA is
> using the names of the post offices serving the governments as the
names of the
> capitals) still holds.

RE: Above. True, they were USPS, but the premise that an office
"served the government" is odd - In Palau, there is only one post
office, all mail is cancelled "Koror". It could have been at
Babelthuap and still served the government in Koror. In other island
groups, more than one post office serves government offices - they are
on islands - and the government is present on all of them (at least
the major populated ones).

It holds absolutely in such places as the Northern
> Marianas and American Samoa, which are American possessions and have
USPS
> offices.

These aren't independent states - the the capital isn't necessarily
where the post office is that serves the government - USAID is out on
many islands - that's "government" - which government's capital is
meant? The capital "city" anmd the seat of government could be in two
different places, and at both places, post offices could be operating
that served "the government".

> The Freely Associated States might now run their own post offices,
but they
> appear to be very freely associated with the USPS as well. The USPS
Domestic
> Mail Manual (edition of January 6, 2005) says at section G011.2.2:
>
> "Mail originating in the United States of America, its territories and
> possessions, APOs, FPOs, and the United Nations, NY, for delivery in
the Freely
> Associated States, and mail originating in the Freely Associated
States for
> delivery within, among, and between the Freely Associated States and
the United
> States of America, its territories and possessions, APOs, FPOs, and
the United
> Nations, NY, is treated as if it were domestic mail."

> This means that you or I could send a letter there for 37¢ instead
of 80¢.

RE: "As if" - that means "it isn't, but we'll handled it the same way
as domestic mail". It's like Panama and the Canal Zone Treaty - the
U.S. was entitled to act "as though it were sovereign".

RE: "37-cents v. 80-cents - you mentioned mail going out to them from
the US - they can charge whatever they want for outound mail in the
other direction. They could provide for an inter-island (or other)
rate below 37-cents, if they want.

They are very much freely associated with the USPS, because it pays to
handle their outbound mail through Honolulu, even though the cost to
provide the service costs the US more than it costs to handle mail
within the 50 states. The US subsidizes their postal service like it
does for the military (even though the DoD pays to move all mail
outside the country, to, from and between the overseas bases)

In prior editions of the DMM, mail from the UNHQ NY to the USA was
specifically excluded from being domestic mail, while mail to it was
considered domestic. This was so, even given that the UN post office
(except the philatelic counter and philatelic mail order fulfillment
office) was manned by the US post office personnel and the UN had to
pay the US (still does) the face value of each UN stamp affixed to
outgoing mail.

> In the same vein, the Universal Postal Union's on-line roster of
members at
> http://www.upu.int/members/en/members.html lists at its very end "UN
member
> countries whose situation with regard to the UPU has not yet been
settled."
> There are four: Andorra, Marshalls, Micronesia, and Palau.

RE: Andorra. It has no postal service of its own - French and
Spanish post offices operate side-by-side in major towns in Andorra,
and both countries national postal services issue stamps inscribed
Andorra for use at their respective post offices. There's no need for
Andorra to join the UPU.

It's always been the case that nations not in the UPU need sponsoring
countries through which their mail passes and for which the sponsor
acts as financial settlement agent vis-a-vis the UPU. Bhutan issued
stamps from 1962, but didn't become a member of the UPU until five or
six years after that. It's early international mail was handled as
Indian mail by the world community. The two countries concluded a
postal treaty in 1961 or early 62 to regulate the process. Palau et
al are "sponsored" by the USPS right now.

Regards
LN