Subject: Re: Japanese cross prefectural consolidation
Date: Apr 17, 2005 @ 01:55
Author: Henry Hirose ("Henry Hirose" <silentcity@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:

> this remarkable location may be found on the border between
prefectures 9 & 26
> about a quarter of the way up from prefecture 1 to prefecture 43

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/middle_east_and_asia/japan_divisions.j
pg
> so i realize it doesnt affect any multiprefectural points

You are correct in this assumption. I double checked it.

> but it reminds me to ask you henry whether you are aware of any
monumentation of the
> multiprefectural points
> for example
> or of the lesser multipoints if indeed there are any
> or of any particular enthusiasm for any of these points
> or of any tries to visit & or to specially acknowledge them etc in
any way

Since my connection to this hobby and concept is only tangential, I
can't say how popular such concepts are here. A quick Google Japan
search in Japanese for "prefectural boundaries" showed no sites for
hobby groups. I got no hits for a search for tripoints. This is
looking like a case of conspicuous absence since the Japanese are
fairly hobby oriented.

I did find one site whose owner has collected pictures of national
highways at prefectural boundaries. I don't see any markers in
them, just road signs.

After a lot of effort, I finally found one tripoint marker:

http://uenishi02.at.infoseek.co.jp/m200tokyo.html

Go to the very bottom pic. That is the tripoint marker at Tokyo,
Saitama and Yamanashi located on Mt. Kumotori. This mountain is a
fairly popular longer trek from Tokyo.

The fact that I had this much trouble finding it on such a
relatively prominent point may indicate that this hobby is very
obscure in Japan. Btw, the above is a site of a "triangulation
point" marker hobbyist.

> i have noticed on my crude maps that the overwhelming majority of
the prefectural
> multipoints appear to be dry
> as most of the boundaries that produce them seem to prefer
watersheds to watercourses

Most Japanese prefectural boundaries are extremely old. The
prefectures were created from the historical provinces as a result
of the modernization after the Meiji Restoration of 1867. Many
provinces were amalgamated and some boundaries were moved in the
following 5 years or so but perhaps about half retained their old
boundaries. The boundaries of provinces and their names date back
to internal reforms of the 8th Century with a few exceptions.

They do indeed seem to prefer watersheds. Perhaps this is because
in a very mountainout country, mountains may seem to serve a
more "natural" divides than rivers and there are more of them to use.

> but this is all pure fantasy unencumbered by any actual knowledge
of the reality there
> unless you can offer some kind of a summary report that would
begin to fill in our still
> completely empty map & blank slate of bp japan

As I said, I don't know the state of the hobby here. I am unlikely
to venture out since I am not a BP hobbyist per se and many
tripoints are rather remote.

HH