Subject: Re: Islands in dispute between USA and others
Date: Apr 16, 2005 @ 19:14
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@m...>
wrote:
> No, I have not seen the treaty. I based my statement on two web sites that said
> that Serranilla and Bajo Nuevo were covered by the treaty along with the others
> and the Office of Insular Affairs site that denies any other claims.

yikes
& on the basis of such thin fare as this you had concluded for us an
especially substantial resolution
& even risked your reputation as a know it all
hahahahaha
merely in order to bust our staggeringly fantastic possible news report of
not 1 but 2 forgotten quintibangers
hahaha

you need to tune up your googling & posturing engine my friend
hahahaha

> However, now that I am searching for specifics on the treaty, I find nothing
> solid on these two banks. There are plenty of rightist web sites decrying that
> they have been given away, but no proof. (One of these sites even lists Navassa
> and Palmyra as having been given away, which we know not to be true.)
>
> One seemingly scholarly paper in THE NORTH-SOUTH AGENDA (a publication of the
> University of Miami), September 2003, entitled "The Caribbean Security Scenario
> at the Dawn of the 21st Century; Continuity, Change, Challenge" by Ivelaw L.
> Griffith) is found at www.ciaonet.org/wps/gri03/gri03.pdf . (Mike, you should
> love this one!)

indeed
it was the major basis for my first
i dunno
even before i recalled martins peculiarly formulated footnote in time for my repeated
disclaimer

Griffith provides an exhaustive table of all disputed land and
> maritime claims in the Caribbean area as of Spring 2003 on his pages eight
> through eleven. He says that Colombia, Nicaragua, Honduras, Jamaica, and the US
> either claim or reserve the right to claim Seranilla and Bajo Nuevo.
>
> So, it appears that the USA has not formally repudiated its claim to these
> specks, but it is going out of its way not to assert any claim either. Perhaps
> the reason that we did not specifically name them in the 1972 treaty along with
> Roncador Cay and Serrana and Quita Sueño Banks was that we did not want to be
> seen by other claimants as endorsing the Colombian claim.

what you mean we pale face

& i like your subsequent truly original finding
as well as your laying it at the feet of bush where it apparently actually now belongs
as we scribble
but are you then just going to stop there
or are you going to ask freakin bush
hahaha

or am i supposed to take responsibility for your extravagance & ask him myself
hahahaha

> More as/if I can dig it out.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

ABLOS01Folder/
PRATT.PDF+roncador+serrana+quita+serranilla+bajo&hl=en&client=safari