Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Islands in dispute between USA and others
Date: Apr 16, 2005 @ 06:16
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The questions of Bajo Nuevo and Serranilla Banks have been substantially
resolved, especially as far as the USA is concerned. They were covered in the
same treaty (signed 1972, effective 1981) by which the US recognized Colombian
sovereignty over Roncador Cay and Serrana and Quita SueƱo Banks. They just
don't get mentioned as often as the others because of their lesser significance.
At that time, Honduras was still operating lighthouses on Bajo Nuevo and
Serranilla, but they cleared out in 1986 in exchange for Colombia's recognition
of Honduran sovereignty over a few islands closer to home. I cannot speak as to
the current stands of Jamaica and Nicaragua relative to Bajo Nuevo and
Serranilla.

Most significantly as far as the USA is concerned, the US Office of Insular
Affairs concludes its "Formerly Disputed" web page at
http://www.doi.gov/oia/Islandpages/disputedpage.htm with the statement,
"REMAINING US CLAIMS; None." Of course, this is after discussing Navassa and
Wake as unquestionably ours. Of course, the dispute over Machias Seal Island
and North Rock are entirely out of the purview of the Office of Insular Affairs.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA