Subject: Re: U.S. External Territories list
Date: Apr 11, 2005 @ 22:23
Author: adamnvillani ("adamnvillani" <avillani@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> The territory of the United States consists of:
>
> 1. the 50 states of the Union
> 2. the District of Columbia
> 3. one Incorporated Territory: Palmyra

So how did Palmyra become an Incorporated Territory, when none of the
other various Pacific islands did?

Also I think some of the dispute on this group as to how many US
exclaves there are might be clarified by noting that there are two
separate questions here, namely, how many territorial exclaves are
there (which has the 52-exclave answer) and how many different
first-level political units are there under U.S. sovereignty (Lowell's
answer).

Adam