Subject: europe v siberia was Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: eupen and malmedy
Date: Feb 28, 2005 @ 01:56
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Since you asked for opinions, I opine that a peninsula should
at least appear to
> protrude from a main body of land.

i agree with all your findings below
& also find your above opinion so agreeable that i have decided
to rethink the entire olympic medal exercise from scratch based
upon this opinion alone & without any preconceptions as to what
is or isnt a peninsula

so
revoking all the medals previously awarded
& searching the entire afroeurasian continent with fresh eyes for
the necks of the greatest apparent protrusions of all
i am immediately struck by a previously unnoticed but veritable
waistline
rather than any mere neckline
running between the white sea & persian gulf
which appears to divide the entire land mass roughly equally into
2 such huge & so nearly balanced protrusions that it is hard to
tell which is the land mass & which the protrusion

call them the asiatic peninsula on the right & the afroeuropean
peninsula on the left & dont mind that these names are only
approximately exact & that most of the middle east is
afroeuropean in this scheme
rather than asiatic as you might expect
but just behold them as apparent protrusions so primary & basic
that they might rather & quite fairly be called
the left & right lobes
of afroeurasia

& it would be to these lobes that i would award the gold & silver
tho i am not yet sure which lobe is larger & thus would win gold

however once i settle that question
i will be able to save the bronze medal entirely since all of the
afroeurasian continent would already have been awarded either
the gold or silver medal
& there would be nothing left of it to win the bronze

& this without ever having to recognize africa or europe or siberia
or indochina or anything so conventional or mundane as all that

for in this scheme africa & europe are both just peninsular parts
of a single greater peninsula
onto which are attached the arabian & anatolian peninsulas as
well for good measure

end inserts

Thus, my vote for the neck of the peninsula
> in eastern Siberia is a line beginning at the mouth of the Uda
River in the
> Udskaya Guba at the northwest corner of the Sea of Okhotsk
and running only a
> little west of true north to the maximum indentation of the Guba
Buor Khaya in
> the Laptev Sea. I am viewing this on a National Geographic
Society map of the
> "Eastern Soviet Union." The same NGS map boldly labels this
protrusion from
> Asia with the regional name "Magadan." So, I propose that we
call it the
> Magadan Peninsula, and consider it something of a mirror to
the neighboring
> peninsula occupied largely by Alaska (although the name
"Alaska Peninsula" is
> given to the much smaller stub from which the Aleutian Islands
trail).

> Interestingly, a physical map reveals that this Magadan is
physically divided
> from the rest of Siberia by the Dzhugdzhur and Yerkhoyansk
Ranges, which neatly
> snake between the beginning and ending points proposed
above for the neck line