Subject: Re: ha alaska claiming 150mile proruption of 3nm state waters
Date: Feb 23, 2005 @ 15:18
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

our first special masters report too
& it is currently before the court
i neglected to mention

a superfine job & it bodes well for our denj quest too

of particular interest to me tho among these 357 pages
besides the areas that zero in on the present thread
are the detailed discussion of the caus dispute surrounding the
1903 cape muzon nick
& most especially the shocking news
at least for me
that the canadian bathtub seacoast at the end of tarr inlet fjord
that unexpectedly opened up in 1912 when the worlds fastest
known retreating glacier fled across the international border
there
had actually been obliterated by 1961
after the glacial recession just as unexpectedly turned about face
in 1926
& proceeded to advance back down the fjord into the usa

& so presumably this coast remains toast & just a ghost

recent reports however do place the beginning of the fjord & end
of the glacier exactly on the boundary
as far as anyone could tell

so given global warming
this is a ghost worth keeping an eye on at least
if indeed it still is a ghost at all

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, aletheia kallos
<aletheiak@y...> wrote:

http://conlaw.usatoday.findlaw.com/supreme_court/briefs/orig_1
28/orig_128.mar2004.rpt.pdf
> delicious
>
> --- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
>
> > Okay. I see what you're saying.
> >
> > The 3-nm state ownership of and jurisdiction over
> > its waters are entirely normal
> > per the Submerged Lands Act. The wildlife refuge
> > (mostly on land but also
> > encompassing some tidal areas) is federal property
> > (and therefore subject to
> > federal management) within the state's jurisdiction.
> > All that makes this
> > situation unusual is that the coast-length of the
> > refuge, and the resultant
> > narrowness in proportion to their width of the
> > state-owned waters. Other than
> > that, the legal situation is identical to that at
> > many other places where
> > federal property comes down to the shore. Even
> > where the exclusive federal
> > jurisdiction over land military bases reaches the
> > shore, state ownership of and
> > jurisdiction over waters beyond continue
> > undisturbed.
> >
> > Lowell G. McManus
> > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=0
00&invol=84ORIG
> > > for further background
> > >
> > > & here the claim or title is being proclaimed
> > publicly
> > > by the governor of the state today
> > >
> > > the proruption is the narrow generally 3nm band of
> > > alaska waters that are sandwiched between the
> > federal
> > > wildlife refuge & the federal territorial sea
> > >
> > > you may prefer to think of it as a partial
> > proruption
> > > since the federal wildlife refuge is still in
> > alaska
> > > but in terms of the oil development that is being
> > > described
> > > it is a real proruption
> > >
> > > & at about 50 to 1
> > > it appears to have the greatest length to width
> > ratio
> > > of any proruption of any kind that i can think of
> > > anywhere on the planet
> > > tho i hope someone will have some fun beating it
> > >
> > > --- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@m...>

> > the
> > that
> > Alaska's