Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: possible explanation for undermeasurement of 12mile arc
Date: Feb 17, 2005 @ 17:10
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- "Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...> wrote:

> I have just now received from BP this Wednesday
> night this message that I posted
> Tuesday afternoon. Of course, we HAVE heard from
> Mr. Schenck by now, etc., but
> please read my original proposition of the bizarre
> compound curve projection
> theory, which I admit is far-fetched, but I can't
> think of anything better.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

good
please see below

> > The badly under-measured arc was the SECOND
> previously unsurveyed arc of DENJ
> > in
> > the Court's 1935 decree. The first was "the
> extension southeastward of the
> > eastern arc of the compound curve of the boundary
> between Delaware and
> > Pennsylvania" (specified as surveyed by Hodgkins
> of the USC&GS in 1893) from
> > DENJPA in the middle of the Delaware River to the
> mean low-water line on the
> > left bank. While the Special Master was
> projecting Hodgkins's "compound
> > curve"
> > beyond DENJPA, he might have mathematically
> projected its last demarcated
> > segment on around to the lower crossing of the
> river many miles away. Any
> > inherent irregularity in Hodgkins's curve might
> have been compounded by
> > distance
> > to result in the significant under-measurement.
> While this hardly seems fair
> > Delaware, it might have been put forward on the
> grounds that Delaware had
> > accepted Hodgkins's demarcation.
> >
> > I realize that this is far-fetched.

yes indeed literally far fetched

& it would require a new original blunder in the 1893
demarcation
to be compounded by this new subsequent idiocy

for given that date & tech level
no matter how unnaturally warped & how unusually short
this easternmost demarcated segment of the depa arc
may have been
such a crazy projection of it as you are envisioning
would have had to lurch or displace eccentrically a
full mile & a half
or one eighth the radius of the entire circle
thus making it the farthest fetch of all in this whole
family of far fetched arcs