Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Russia Extremes (and relation to 180 Meridien)
Date: Feb 11, 2005 @ 04:29
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I know that by "easternmost" and "westernmost," you (both Roger and Mike) are
referring to the most highly numbered east and west longitudes, but that is an
extremely arbitrary and unnatural use of these terms.

Wake up! The world is round, and its hemispheres join seamlessly! (I do not
seriously doubt that you already know these facts.) Do you consider an Aleutian
island that lies a few miles WEST of the 180th meridian to be EAST of another
Aleutian Island that lies EAST of the same meridian. I don't! When hunting the
easternmost and westernmost points in the USA, Russia, or whatever place, I'd
measure from the center of that place. I'd only measure from Greenwich if I
were hunting the extreme points of Greenwich.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA