Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Re: GhTP: Italy-Trieste-Yugoslavia
Date: Feb 07, 2005 @ 20:04
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

Trieste "not actually split"? De jure perhaps so, de facto it was very much split right from the beginning: Zone A developed in quite a different fashion than Zone B.

As I mentioned previously, on Monte Cocusso (Kokoš) there are border markers numbered 79-28, 79-25, 79-23, 79-22 (from South to North), which suggestes they have been set in 1979. The numbering follows the sequence as shown in the map, only that the map is further South.

Following WWII, there have been a number of demarcation lines between Italy and Yugoslavia up for discussion at the 1947 Paris peace conference. In August 1946 a military unit under Lieutenant J. B. Burrows  tried to survey and map the so-called "French line", for example. The reason for this activity was that the peace conference had only a 1: 50,000 map available, so that the "French line" was vague. The section that Burrows worked on reached from Tarvisio in the North down to Trieste in the South, however it did not reach beyond the "Morgan line" in the yugoslavian occupied zone, i.e. not firther to the South and East. Slowenian farmers wives often came across the fields and threw stones at Burrows' men in order to dispel them. Once the stones hit a Russian member of Burrows' party and struck him, so that he lost his consciousness. When "successful" the farmers wives removed the marker poles so that finally the demarcation could not be carried to a presentable end.

Wolfgang