Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Bordermarkers as monuments
Date: Feb 07, 2005 @ 15:03
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

--- Kevin Meynell <knm@...> wrote:

> Wolfgang,
>
> >Agree. Wonder if the Brits share this view. Never
> too late to learn...
>
> I think I've lost the original point of this thread,

hahahahaha
good one

> but my dictionary
> (OED) states that a monument is 'anything enduring
> that serves to
> commemorate or celebrate', but doesn't mention
> demarcation. Nor would I
> really have considered using monument to describe a
> boundary post, but each
> to their own.

indeed
but i dont believe there is any real difference
between the standard british & american usages of the
term
boundary monument

in light of your observation
it may well be that this term has become more common &
more natural in american
just as the terms
boundary post & boundary pillar & boundary beacon are
perhaps more common & natural in british

however
these british surveyors for example do use the term
boundary monument to refer to demarcation
evidently in the normal american sense
http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk/maindigbdies.htm
at fifth bullet
next to figure 1