Subject: Re: Seborga's currency
Date: Feb 06, 2005 @ 04:44
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

The Vatican had its own Lira - it issued its own coins (albeit some
produced by the Italian state mint). With the Euro, the Vatican has,
from the European Central Bank, its own allocation from the universe
of Euros that can be issued by each monetary authority (as does San
Marino).

Vatican Euros are not Italian Euros although they are worth exactly
the same, and each countries' Euros circulate in both neighboring
countries and are mutually accepted as legal tender.

The Vatican situation wasn't much diferent in the Lira days than that
which exists in Panama. As far as I know from my Canal Zone days,
Panama has the Balboa which is worth exactly the same as a US dollar,
but it has never issued Balboa banknotes, only Balboa coins. For
banknotes, US dollar bills circulate. Unlike Rome, however, Balboa
coins don't circulate in the US and are not legal tender here.

LN

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schaub"
<Wolfgang.Schaub@c...> wrote:
> There is other nonsense in the "Universal Currency Converter": They
speak of
> a Vatican Lira (obsolete). To my knowledge this was always the
Italian Lira,