Subject: Re: KZRU
Date: Feb 01, 2005 @ 02:21
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen"
<jesniel@i...> wrote:

http://en.rian.ru/rian/index.cfm?prd_id=160&msg_id=5314235&s
tartrow=1&date=2005-01-17&do_alert=0
> "There has been much talk about the issue, but we are
discussing delimitation, not demarcation. There will be no
broken borders, while the border crossing arrangements will be
preserved for Russian and Kazakh citizens," said Mr
Nazarbayev."

> What is broken borders?

given the awkwardness of the overall rendering into english
it is my guess that the translator may have goofed slightly here
& should have said unsettled or unfixed rather than broken

like maybe in russian the ideas of unfixed & not fixed & therefore
broken are rather more synonymous than in english

more below

> Jesper

associate demarction borders with ploughing.

this still puzzles me too
but again maybe it is just a blown idiom
like say for a fallow margin or a clearcut strip
or something like that

http://www.interfax.com/com?item=Kaz&pg=0&id=5784471&req=

> Is this really an open border?

i cant reach this link any more
but why & how do you suppose it might not be open