Subject: Re: 86ing update & Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Strovilia, and two more defacto tripoints (visited)
Date: Jan 22, 2005 @ 16:18
Author: aletheia kallos (aletheia kallos <aletheiak@...>)

thanx jesper
very interesting

& as far as semi de jure is concerned
&or hemi or demi or quasi or pene or pseudo or crypto etc etc de jure
for that matter
i would only add that i believe you are correct in seeing & indicating here that the progression from de facto to de jure is indeed a process of stages & steps & degrees of actualization

so any de facto line upon which there is any explicit agreement at all has thereby already become in your terms to some extent semi de jure

analogously
anything less active than an actively contested military front is already to some extent a frontier
& no longer simply a front

etc

& such shades of distinction as this
& the ultimate crystallization of military fronts into borders
& of war spoils into sovereign territory
are also precisely what seem to be behind the brouhaha that just occurred here over where the highest point of some political entity can or cannot be

i mean
when it wasnt purely an exercise in shifty semantics
which i realize it also partly was

for the territorial aspect of political entities
including their homelands or metropoles & their colonies or outlying territories etc etc
is just stacks & stacks of such shades of distinction too

& i thought it was interesting & highly sympathetic that in the end
amidst all this nebulosity
wolfgang at least seemed to be gasping for some fresh clear sharp multipointing air for a change

here
no human visitors came to mig torch at all on day 6 of the party
but the mangrove was so full of fish for the grand finale
that many birds of all imaginable shapes & hues were dive bombing all around in a daylong airshow extravaganza

& just before sunset
the rara avis de resistance
made a single flyby appearance

the biggest bald eagle i ever saw

which flew right into & up my driveway to nowhere

& so close over head that i could have flipped it a florabama mullet

man it felt like the freakin 4th of july

so with that final prodigy of a portent
the 86ing part of the megapointing tour has been completely 86ed now
& i can finally proclaim
cribbing from that other great barbarian american
that
from where the sun now stands
i will 86 no more
forever

Jesper Nielsen <jesniel@...> wrote:
All of the island of Cyprus, except the SBAs, are formally The Republic of Cyprus as includes greek and turkish cypriots.

After years of civil war Turkey invaded Cyprus in 1974, and on August 16, UNFICYP was able to define ceasefire lines with both Turk and Greeks. The cease fire and the ceasefire lines were agreed on by UN, Turks and Greek (and probably the British too). I haven't seen the agreement, but the boundaries are well defined, some minor areas however remain in dispute. (Did I tell you yellow car border dispute in Central Nicosia?) It appears that the Turks managed to advance their positions at some places before UNFICYP finished defining the lines. The areas, like Limnitis on the north coast and Achna just north of the ESBA transit road appears to be accepted as Turkish occupied.

Nobody, except Turkey or the Turkish Cypriots offcially recognize the selfproclamed Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), but the boundary between the UN Bufferzone and the two Cypruses are recognized by the international community, and thus I would declare them semi de jure. EU recognizes the boundaries as only the Greek administration is a full member of EU, while in occupied north EU laws has been suspended. The EU position in the Bufferzone remain unclear (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_member_state_territories_and_their_relations_with_the_EU).

According to the 16 Aug 1974 cease fire line agreement Strovilia was not under Turkish occupation. And according to the agreement nobody was allowed to advance their positions. In several places in Nicosia the Turks and Greeks advanced, but after protesting on higher UN level, the troops went back to status quo. So the CY boundaries have remained unchanged since 1974. They are in my oppinion semi de jure. It was illegal and against the agreement that the Turks advanced into Strovilia in 2000, building a new border gate (the old one still remains), placing customs houses, making bus stops etc. UN protested (as several news stories tell), but the Turks have not retired. As of today Strovilia is semi de jure Greek, but de facto Turkish.

Jesper