Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Re: High points
Date: Jan 22, 2005 @ 09:08
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

"It couldn't have been taken seriously if the U.S. sector of Berlin was a part of the U.S."? This is, I am sorry, just a semantic issue. There was much of "Einverleiben" in the past. The German flag flew over the "protectorates", they were called "Deutsch-Ostafrika", "Deutsch-Suedwestafrika" and so on. If they were called "deutsch" it would be difficult not to perceive them as part of Deutschland.

The same goes with the time after WW II. Germany had ceased to exist. It was absolutely unclear what would happen next. "It couldn't have been taken seriously"? To anyone interested I may give examples of what politicians had to say.The vacuum was indeed "einverleibt" as American, British, French and Soviet zones. Hence, at least from the linguistic point of view they were not parts of Germany anymore. Sarcastically: The Soviets saved us, they diverted the attention soon - and we all entered into the Cold War together. Which permitted us to form a Bundesrepublik Deutschland - and only from here - September 1949 - we have Germany back on the map.

But since this has nothing to do anymore with Multi"points" we should give it up here "making a point".

Wolfgang