Subject: arrowhead az Re: no mxus for xmus after all but its ajo ho
Date: Dec 26, 2004 @ 23:11
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

new computer & more inserts less hurriedly

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:

> inserts hurriedly
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
> <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > I'm basing my statement on the lack of a monument at the
> quadripoint in question on: (1) no monument indicated on USGS topo;
>
> as you know
> this in itself is neither here nor there
>
> >and (2) the 1991 aerial photo that shows it located in a partially
> harvested field of what looks like it might be wheat. If the
> tractors, combines, or whatever were purposely avoiding a "dire
> penalty" sign, I think that we could see some irregularity in the
> field.
>
> ok but you must understand it is still a presumption by you then
>
> so please dont offer it as a fact yet
> as you have done in 16342
> & have reiterated albeit less confidently in 16349 & again now
> even as you progressively cover your tracks by cutting the texts
>
> you just did the same thing with the atwood initial monument last
week
> & it is silly to expect others to have to keep sifting your
> presumptions from your facts
>
> & the players in the field will just stop trusting you quite so
much
> if they have to keep pulling all your stuff apart like this
>
> > I see no reason why there might be any federal marker at the
site.
> It's not a USC&GS vertical control benchmark.
>
> ok
> me too
> i see no reason
> but thats not the same as being sure
>
> >This is Texas that we're talking about, so the land was never part
> of the federal public domain nor of the federal public land
survey.
> Original patenting of land titles to private owners, as well as the
> county boundary surveys, was under the purview of the General Land
> Office of Texas, and I have pointed you to their files.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I am unable to assist with the actual content of
the
> county boundary files due to my extremely slow dial-up connection.
> (I'm far into the country, and my phone line is relayed, modulated,
> multiplexed, or whatever to such an extent that my top speed is
about
> 26 K.) Downloading such large files would be virtually
impossible.
> Getting topos is hard enough. (I do plan to get satellite
broadband
> as soon as the new WildBlue service rolls out, now expected in
second
> quarter, 2005.)
>
> ok
> really running out of time now
> but there is more
> so please expect more comments
>
> > I can give you an example of the contents of the Texas GLO files
> found in the indexing. The 1908 plat of the Borden-Howard boundary
> is at https://scandocs.glo.state.tx.us/arcmaps/pdfs/1694.pdf . The
> scanned original is on a rolled piece of tracing cloth, 23.7 by
125.7
> inches, at a scale of 500 varas per inch, drawn by the two county
> surveyors. I estimate that it would take me 7.5 hours to download
> it! Most public libraries have the broadest of broadband, so you
> might be able to get it.

ok thanx
& i am still working on it

> > The area in question is an odd region of Texas in which the state
> GLO's land survey is a rectangular grid rotated about 15 degrees
> counterclockwise from the cardinal points. The road grid follows
the
> survey grid. The county boundaries, on the other hand, were
> specified by the legislature as north-south and east-west lines.
> Nothing matches! Certainly the county boundaries were marked
somehow
> by their surveyors (perhaps on cadastral boundaries), else the
> surveys would have had no practical purpose.

exactly
& therefore we may not be so foolish in looking for their leavings
wherever they have left them & wherever we may find them

& the multipoints are among the likeliest of all places
or dont you agree

Everybody already knew
> that the counties were neat 30-mile rectangles.
> >
> > Remember that you scoured northern Virginia in vain for a marked
> tertiary tripoint. That, too, is an area where county and
cadastral
> boundaries don't typically coincide.
> >
> > You might look for other Texas tertiary quadripoints that are
shown
> as monumented on USGS topos. I will try to assist as well. I
would
> expect that some of them are monumented/marked, especially in the
> regions where the boundaries do conform to the state's survey
grid.
> I'll keep you informed.

ok
thanx
end of inserts
with apologies for the rough edges

> > Lowell G. McManus
> > Leesville, Louisiana, USA

between,
> then click the
> > "Search" button. You'll get an index to all boundary files
for
> that county. In
> > that index, you can click "More Details..." on each item for
> dates, surveyor's
> > names, etc. The drawback is that these are huge files
suitable