Subject: Re: paleo lamaya initial monument & mapiyu corner cases closed i think
Date: Dec 14, 2004 @ 18:53
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

but clearly
on piyu
either
usgs mapping in all 3 scales as recently as 1990 is wrong
or
the latest revision of the arizona revised statutes is wrong

but come to think of it
how could a statute be wrong

a statute cant be wrong

a statute can be dumb
but it cant be wrong

& a statute can be revised
but its job & virtue is to only be right
for as long as it exists

so i conclude
usgs is wrong
or is at least outdated & certainly trumped by the ars

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> In this business, any interpretation is tentative (to one degree
or another),
> pending the receipt of better data.
>
> Your conclusions regarding a virtual-only statutory northward
extension of
> Atwood's 1918 Maricopa-Yuma line are within the realm of
possibility. The
> Pima-Yuma line southward (if correctly depicted by the USGS),
however, is
> clearly out of agreement with the statutes. If there were never
any suit or
> survey, though, I'm wondering why the USGS puts the line where it
does. Since
> it's all federal land down there, not subject to local taxation,
it makes no
> practical difference. Pending the arrival of better data, I'm
willing to write
> it off as "just one of those things."
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA