Subject: Vennbahn enclaves
Date: Nov 24, 2004 @ 22:13
Author: Brendan Whyte (Brendan Whyte <bwhyte@...>)

My understanding of this is that Belgium wanted the railway and all land in
between. Germany didn't want to give up any land. After long arguments and
discussions, Belgium got the railway and uninhabited land, i the forests.
Germany got left with the inhabited land, ie the farms, agricultural land
and farmhouses west of the railway.
The forests going to Belgium were partly in compensation for the Belgian
forests the Germans destroyed during the war.

Thus the enclaves today are basically farms land and hamlets. The single
house owned by Mr Call was presumably the same thing: a small farm: house
and several fields. Perhaps the owner had more fields on the other side of
the railway in 1920. You need to look at German 1:25,000 maps for c.1920 to
check where the forests etc came to at that time.
If the agreement was to leave habitations to Germany and uninhabited land
to Belgium, then this explains all 5 enclaves. But one would have to locate
the minutes of the negotiations to be sure. Are these in Brussels,
Versailles, Berlin, or London???