Subject: yachats or rostah cay Re: [BoundaryPoint] The easternmost point in Europe
Date: Nov 15, 2004 @ 23:22
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

nice one andrew
at the crosshairs of the americas
hahahahaha
looks like an inca pyramid there too
i love it

not to mention that the original & main bridge over the canal in
panama city is called the bridge of the americas too

but ya gotta believe

& meanwhile i have returned as always to the greater cape perpetua
area
finding my old rostah mon still not at home again
but conceiving here today also a new mega exciting plan
rather than hanging around anywhere even this fantastic very long
during the height of trypointing season

specifically it is to perform a sawanabori of the golden rogue river
at least from its mouth at gold beach to its vortex at gold hill
& to then consider the sequel of this most golden & roguish
probability proceeding from there onward & upward
while also generally megapointing my way onward & downward to my
other regular cay
namely mig torch key
in the lower keys
in time for the prospective 86ing of prohibition celebration already
announced & scheduled for 16jan05 there

tho it is already an admittedly ambitious plan
i should tell you i have also conceived several additional exciting
surprise interludes within it too

yes i know that is staggering on this much bc bud

but right now i am just trying to figure out where the true head of
the rogue is

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Andrew T. Patton <andrew@A...>
wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 18:14:57 -0600, you wrote:
>

> >While the NGS has often furnished its maps of Europe and Asia
with a green line
> >separating the two, I have never seen them do the same for the
two Americas or
> >for Asia and Africa.
> >
> >I would suggest that the COPA political boundary is an
unacceptable limit
> >between the Americas for at least the following reasons:
> >
> >1. Were there not two Americas prior to the 1903 independence of
Panamá from
> >Colombia?
> >
> >2. Nowhere does the NGS's Europe-Asia boundary follow a political
boundary.

> >I would, rather, suggest the narrowest part of the isthmus. That
would be even
> >with the Golfo de San Blas.
> >
> >However, an excellent argument can be made that the continental
limit should be
> >across the lowest part of the cordillera that runs the length of
the isthmus.
> >That is, indeed, where the Americas would become two separate
land masses if sea
> >level were to rise sufficiently. (This thinking is influenced by
the actual
> >experience at the Bering Strait between Asia and North America at
the end of the
> >most recent ice age, and perhaps at the Strait of Gibraltar, the
Dardanelles,
> >and the Bosporus at various times in prehistory.) This lowest
part of Panamá is
> >the approximate location of the canal.
> >
> >Between Asia and Africa, both the narrowest and lowest parts of
the Isthmus of
> >Suez are the approximate location of the canal there.
> >
> >So, we can add Panamá and Egypt to Russia, Kazakhstan,
Azerbaijan, Georgia, and
> >Turkey in the list of countries with continuous intercontinental
sovereignty.

> I would suggest the middle of the Panama Canal as the effective
> boundary now. (Interesting tidbit -- Construction of the Panama
Canal
> was completed 70 Years ago yesterday).
>

> I went to Panama about a year ago and made a complete transit of
the
> Canal. During the transit, I took the attached picture. It is the
> crossing of the Continental Divide while in the middle of the
Canal -
> so I am at the intersection of the border between N/S America and
the
> border between the Atlantic/Pacific Sides of the Americas. The
picture
> is of the South American part of the Continental Divide. More
photos
> of Panama can be found at www.andrewpatton.com/panama
>

> -Andrew
>

> --