Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] sidney ia
Date: Oct 29, 2004 @ 22:18
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I'm afraid that Iowa's claim to have cornered the non-Chinese market on loessial
hills is quite a provincially myopic overstatement!

Loess is a light brown to buff-colored eolian (wind-deposited) soil. It covers
the western two-thirds of Illinois; eastern, southern, and western Iowa;
southeastern Minnesota; northwestern Missouri; the southeastern half of
Nebraska; north-central, northwestern, and southwestern Kansas; far eastern
Colorado, the Oklahoma panhandle; and much of the Texas panhandle. A notable
band of loess 20 to 40 miles wide also extends southward from Illinois through
Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, and slightly into Louisiana along the east
sides of the Mississippi River and Yazoo River valleys. There are other
loessial deposits in southeastern Washington and neighboring areas of Idaho and
Oregon.

Most of these loessial areas are relatively flat, so loessial hills are indeed
rarer than loess. However, practically all of the bluffs along the Mississippi
River are loessial hills, including the famed bluffs of Memphis, Vicksburg, and
Natchez. The Palouse region in the State of Washington, etc. is also an
important area of loessial hills.

The thing that makes loess form such impressive hills and bluffs (where it's not
flat) is a near vertical angle of repose. This means that a very steep slope,
bluff or cliff will be stable. In fact, an artificially cut slope will
naturally erode to vertical. This is why you will see that highway and railway
cuts in loess country are made vertical from the beginning.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA