Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] harrogate tn
Date: Oct 22, 2004 @ 04:58
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The 1903 doings of the Supremes were in Tennessee v. Virginia at 190 U.S. 64 (
http://tinyurl.com/4wx86 ). The decree confirms a remarking of the 1802 survey
pursuant to a 1900 order by the Court. The description of the TNVA boundary is
minutely done in the appended report of the Commissioners, but the western
terminus of the boundary is described without any mention of Kentucky. The
commissioners described their Monument 99 thus:
"(99)-On summit of Cumberland mountain. The monument of cut limestone has 'V'
and 'T' cut on its adjacent vertical faces, and 'Corner' cut on its top. Its
base is set in cement and broken rock, with one diagonal running east and west.
The summit of the sandstone ledge was blasted in order to set this monument."

Although the word does not appear, the inescapable implication is that
everything beyond that summit is Kentucky.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA