Subject: now salem va Re: harrisonburg va still
Date: Oct 17, 2004 @ 18:48
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> I think the biggest reason for the lack of marked tripoints up
there on the
> ridge is probably the prevalence of federal and state land
ownership. This
> means that the county boundaries typically are not property lines,
and their
> exact locations have no significance for the purpose of property
taxes. That's
> just my unproved theory.

i share this good thought & theory
which is supported by the findings of county line markers on nonpark
virginia ridgeline
tho it isnt helped any by the similar markerlessness of clfrwa
the lowland tripoint in the cornstubble field you may recall i also
tried as a backup to clfawa

it is remarkable tho that i havent seen a real rock nor any other
authoritative marker since clfalo
aka the pseudo clfaje of message 12318

rereading which btw i also notice i first promised a string of 2
dozen pearls there
but have delivered only 1
so far

however
i am remorseless & spending & sending a peaceful day in salem va
having in the interim cut directly to bath county for a bath
where the foliage & country combo was the best i have ever seen
& where i was particularly drawn
because i believe it has the only hot springs anywhere between warm
springs georgia & saratoga springs new york
which with hot springs arkansas comprise only 4 such hot spots east
of the rockies
unless i am mistaken

i have searched pretty hard
& there are a few others that have cooled off & could only be called
tepid now
but i think these 4 may be all she wrote across this vast area
notwithstanding all the many scores of them she packed into the west

but i think i may return to the blue ridge after a while to test our
tattered theory a bit more on a section where there is no parkland
other than the parkway right of way itself
which frequently strays from the ridge entirely

& there we may find some new data
or who knows what else

but i think i will only sample from the second dozen oysters for now
& not necessarily examine them all so carefully for the pearls

for i have noticed the boundary lines do divagate substantially off
the ridge again
long before they entirely forget it down here in the roanoke area

& the boundaries only regain the ridge subsequently by fits & starts
& they never again travel in such concert as they did for the first
dozen
all the way to georgia

so there is only so far this can be credibly strung out anyway

but perhaps there will eventually be another postscript or 2

I think you're probably right that most of the these