Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Berlin map
Date: Oct 14, 2004 @ 21:19
Author: Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Ernst Stavro Blofeld <blofeld_es@yahoo.com>)

--- Jesper Nielsen <jesniel@image.dk> wrote:

> Are we here
> http://www.wall-berlin.org/cadre/chine11.jpg looking
> from west into east?

Yes, absolutely.

> How far could the easterners get to the tor?

They could get to where the black line east of the
Pariser Platz is on your excellent map. Your are right
in naming it the Hinterlandsicherungsmauer, which
would translate to something like "back wall" (as
opposed to the "front wall", visible from the west).

The HiSM at the Parizer Platz was first an ugly
concrete contraption, like the rest of the thing, but
was gradually replaced with a lower metal fence. It
also had two large sliding doors just at the Pariser
Platz which could be pulled aside. To my knowledge
those doors were frequently open, but the Platz itself
was nonetheless off limits except if you participated
in a West Berlin oogling tour (yes, the had those!)
where you were allowed right up to the east side of
the front wall, and could even climb a little platform
to take in the full depravation of imperialism a few
meters away.

It would be quite interesting if one of our german
members could elaborate a little on the subject,
perhaps with first hand experience?

I believe the map is from Hagen Koch's collection of
former Grenzpolizei-Karten. I also believe it is one
of about three sheets that he has put in the public
domain. There are at least a few houndred other sheets
that would be of interest to the world. They are for
sale, each at a disturbingly high price.