Subject: harrisonburg va Re: VA Tri-County Points and County Highpoints
Date: Oct 14, 2004 @ 22:08
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:

> please look for inserts
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, spookymike@a... wrote:
> > For Mike Donner: I missed your message, I believe when I went
> outside to
> > retrieve empty garbage pails.
> >
> > Here's some info on the county tripoint you just visited, as
well
> as some
> > others further south along the Skyline Drive that are presumably
on
> your
> > itinerary:
> >
> > Page-Warren-Rappahannock: Tripoint is an unnamed, unmarked
bump,
> 3440+ ft.
>
> aha
> yesss
>
> but which of the 3 tits
>
> > Warren CHP is the Hogback, approx. 0.7 miles east along the
ridge,
> marked
> > with 3474' BM.
> > Page CHP is Hawksbill Mountain 4050', accessible by trail from
the
> Skyline
> > Drive. It's also the highpoint of Madison County.
> > Rappannock CHP is The Pinnacle, 0.5 miles east of:
> > Madison-Page-Rappannock tripoint, which looks to be almost
directly
> on the
> > Drive.
>
> yup
> been there in the meantime
>

> > Next: Green-Madison-Page tripoint, on the ridgeline, 0.2 miles
SSW
> of 3812'
> > Hazeltop. This unmarked (at least not on the topo) tri-point is
> the highest
> > point of Green County. A county highpointer has built a cairn
at
> his best
> > guess for the tripoint, and another cohp'er with GPS felt the
cairn
> was pretty
> > close to the tripoint, but you need to walk up and down the
> ridgeline to be more
> > confident of having passed over the tripoint.
>
> aha
> then maybe this gives me enough reason to go for it
>
> after my shower
>
> many thanxxx

& i did indeed try it next
scouring the ridge for a hundred yards in both directions of the
best guessed position based on your info & the usgs topo & measured
pacing from hazeltop & the laurel side trail
but again no dice

or rather just the belief that i had to have been very close if not
on point at some point

then did the same for grparo
greene page rockingham
with the same result & belief

so that makes a string of 10 tries in a row

but i admit finding nothing time after time is getting a little old
so i may hang it up here

but a hilltop point
algrro
or albemarle greene rockingham
is just ahead
so maybe i will continue after some r&r here in harrisonburg

it is hard to quit as long as the ridge & boundaries keep going