Subject: Re: front royal va
Date: Oct 13, 2004 @ 16:08
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

daybreak & i was already on the fire trail
& soon pulled in at the right parking area

i thought it was still in warren county
where it says overlook on the topo
but as i realized only later
the place was slightly into clarke

found the ridge & the supposed overlook hilltop no problem
but no ability to overlook anything in these dense woods

a promising sign very nearby tho

witness marker
dont disturb nearby survey marker

& of course i disturbed & combed everything
but no marker was found

from there i followed the well rounded ridge north for 120 giant steps
which i took to be the maximum necessary distance for the tripoint
if my topozone topo was right

but nothing doing

then wandered about & got lost in the woods
as it is a cloudy day here

found & followed the ridge again
til i found the witness marker again

but oh no

this was a different post

& this one had a real marker not to disturb with it too

a beautiful brass spike driven most of the way into a brass octagonal
base plate in cement

head of spike an inch & a half across

spike an in inch thick

awesome

the words
county marker
were discernible on the base plate
but nothing else of interest

i figured this could well be it
but the truth was i didnt know where i was

i took a photo

then tried to find my way out of the woods

but this will have to be intermission
as i am losing my computer now for awhile

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "aletheiak" <aletheiak@y...>
wrote:

> good thanx
> & i have also since learned by trial & error & lots of needless
wrong
> turns etc that my impasse at interstate 66 was purely imaginary
> since a spanking new route 638 rises from route 55 in linden just
> around the corner from the appalachian trailhead
>
> i only barely missed it this afternoon
> dohh
> which i only learned this evening on the way down
>
> a reverse discovery similar to 700 chain bridge road
>
> in the meantime tho i had dead reckoned my way on killer back roads
> to within a mile of the truth by nightfall
> & decided to come back down to front royal for the internet &
warmer
> sleeping
> before continuing in the morning
>
> it wasnt such a hard moment of truth after all
>
> not yet anyway
>
> & delighted i passed it
>
> but of course all this is still prequel
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
> <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > Mike,
> >
> > USGS maps show scattered dwellings within .4 mi. of the Clarke-
> Fauquier-Warren
> > tripoint. According to Microsoft Streets and Trips, they are on
> roads called
> > Axton Lane, Deer Path Lane, and Fawn Ridge Road (all Linden,
VA).