Subject: Re: Feet in the USA. two of them
Date: Oct 07, 2004 @ 13:48
Author: Ron McConnell ("Ron McConnell" <rcmcc@...>)

> Two definitions of a foot in the USA
> 1. standard ("international") foot = 0.3048 meters
> 2. U.S. survey foot = 1200/3937 meters = 0.3048006096012 m

"aletheiak" says,
"...this may explain part of the slight discrepancy
i recently observed between the length of the vawv
terminal segment as reported by the surveyor
using state plane coordinates & the same length
as computed by me with a great circle arc calculator
or are 4 hundredths of a foot of aberration
in about 80 feet of run too much
to be explained away by that..."

80 ft x ((0.3048006096012 / 0.3048) - 1) x 12 in/ft = 0.0002 in

So that's not the reason.
Measuring 0.2 millinches of distance
is a challenge for us civilians. :)

A friend in an offline message notes,
START QUOTE
Hidden in these definitions is the old "political" debate
over which system of measures (English or Metric)
should prevail. Whether the English system of measures
would define the Metric system
or the Metric system would define the English system.
The argument was, who would have to accommodate whom.

If you restate your items [1.] and [2.], above,
in terms of inches and centimeters we get...

1. 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters, exactly.

2. 1 centimeter = 0.3937 inches, exactly.

Notice in item [2.] (the older of the two standards),
the preference is for the English system,
since it intrinsically made it easier to convert
from Metric system to the English system,
and not vice versa. This is because the
factor 0.3927 is an exact value
with no additional trailing decimal points.

Conversely, in item [1.]
(the more recent of the two standards),
the preference has changed to favor the Metric system
because it is now easier to convert the English units
into Metric units. This is because the factor 2.54
is an exact value with no additional
trailing decimal points.

...But I suspect that had it not been for the origin
of the Metric system (i.e., Europe, and France in particular),
we in the U.S. would have been a thoroughly "metricized" nation
200 years ago. With the exception of a primary unit of mass
called the *kilo*gram, the metric system makes far more sense
than the goofy English system that only "sluggishly"
(pun intended) came to grips with the fact
that a pound is not a unit of mass."

END QUOTE

"Not invented here" is not a new thing.

Cheers, 73,