Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: dcmdvan & mdvawv retries continued
Date: Sep 29, 2004 @ 23:17
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

I agree with your judgment that the term "mean" is irrelevant at MDVAWV. Unless
some legal basis emerges for the word "mean," the notion likely comes from the
Virginia statute on riparian land ownership that I quoted below. The statute is
catch-all for all waters--those subject to tidal fluctuation and those not. Had
Virginia been an inland state with no tides, the word "mean" could have been
omitted with no loss of precision. Tides cycle twice daily, but a rushing
inland river such as the upper Potomac has all manner of crazy swings in its
level without much cyclical regularity or predictability.

With no specific legal guidance as to how to find the low-water mark, we must
resort to our own reason. The functional rationale for the placement of the
boundary at the low-water mark is to allow riparian owners access to the river
(for commerce, water supply, etc.) at all possible river levels. Suppose the
river fell lower than ever heretofore known. Then, that's the low-water mark,
at least at the moment. To have it otherwise would allow Maryland to say, "You
Virginians can't trespass that far into our river bed!" This would defeat the
purpose of guaranteeing to Virginians sovereign access to the water.

However, although the Black-Jenkins Award of 1877 gave Maryland sovereignty over
the river to Virginia's low-water mark, the fourth article further gives
Virginia "a right to such use of the river beyond the line of low-water mark as
may be necessary to the full enjoyment of her riparian ownership" so long as it
doesn't impede navigation or use by Maryland. Just last December 9th, the
Supremes cited this sentence in finding Maryland powerless to prevent, regulate,
or even require a permit for the Fairfax County Water Authority to operate an
intake at mid-stream so as to obtain the cleanest water.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA