Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Timely article about IE (ROI?)-UK
Date: Sep 24, 2004 @ 19:30
Author: Kevin Meynell (Kevin Meynell <knm@...>)

Lowell,

>If that's their choice, they shouldn't be surprised that the border attracts
>various misconduct. They have invited it, so they shouldn't complain.

I honestly didn't understand the point the article was trying to make. The
UK and the ROI, plus the Channel Isles and the Isle of Man operate a common
travel area, and anyone entering one member state, is free to travel
without restriction to any of the others. If there's a problem with illegal
immigrants (or whatever), then the problem is at the points of entry to the
UK, not at the border.

>True, but a boundary must exist if Ireland wants to be a separate nation from
>the United Kingdom, which it became in 1921 after long agitation.

Strictly speaking this is not correct. The ROI initially achieved
self-government as the Irish Free State in 1921, but this was only dominion
status within the (then) British Empire. It's certainly true that it
increasingly exercised de-facto sovereignty in the inter-war years, but it
only became a truly separate nation when a republic was declared in 1949.

Even now, the UK and the ROI are still very intertwined in many ways. For
example, there are no immigration controls between the two countries, ROI
citizens are able to stand for and vote in UK elections, UK military forces
are still raised in the ROI, and in many sports (e.g. rugby, cricket) the
whole of Ireland is represented by one team.

Regards,

Kevin Meynell