Subject: Re: mathews & nelson arrive with several surprises
Date: Sep 22, 2004 @ 22:27
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

& my 2 too please

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Please see my two insertions below.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

several surprises

> > thanx
> >
> > & this only keeps getting more delicious
> >
> > for
> > tho it is true that the vawv convergent at mdvawv was
originally
> > a drainage divide
> > or to be more exact
> > a ridge line
> > & specifically the summit line of the blue ridge
> > still
> > we also know that this natural border was modified circa
1998
> > into a series of geodetic zigzags that actually leapfrog along
the
> > true ridge line
> > while actually only approximating & rationalizing it
>
> I remember that you had consulted with one of the surveyors
involved in this
> undertaking and obtained some numbers. You might contact
him again to ask why
> the survey terminated at the high-water mark.

i already did
& he said it was because that was where the river actually was
on the day he surveyed it

It might be because insufficient
> legal delimitation existed between that point and the low-water
mark. I believe
> that the statutory wording was "the watershed line of the top of
the ridge of
> the Blue Ridge Mountains." Surveyors are typically disinclined
to go beyond
> where words send them. Perhaps it was judged as
impossible to apply this
> statutory delimitation below the high-water mark.
>
> More below...
>
> > so in order to administer the exact tripointing stitch you
propose
> > we would first have to insert a pretripointing stitch
> > between the extant vawv terminus on the rationalized ridge
line
> > & some corresponding but also unknown & unknowable
point
> > on the true ridge line
> >
> > in other words
> > that tiny & ridiculous loose end is an actual show stopper
> > for now
> > & perhaps forever
> >

> > so rather i think the question has to be
> > how to get down from the actual legal geodetic vawv terminal
> > point at high water line to the actual legal mdva&mdwv at low
> > water mark
> >

> > & how we answer this how will determine the point where the
> > vawv terminal stitch reaches
> > & thus itself effectively determines
> > the tripoint
> >
> > yikes
> >

> > the leading choices appear to all be straight lines
> > 1
> > prolonging & extending the extant terminal segment of vawv
in
> > the spirit of sheer momentum until it reaches the low water
mark
> > 2
> > proceeding from the extant vawv terminal point in a spirit of
> > mediation at right angles to the river as far as the low water
mark
> > & 3
> > proceeding from the extant vawv terminal point in a spirit of
best
> > available literalness directly toward the ridge line visible
above
> > the opposite bank
> > but again of course just as far as the low water mark
> >
> > this last one is an accommodation of your basic idea to the
> > reality on the ground there
>
> Number 2 is less than perfect for lack of a knowing what length
of irregular
> river should be taken as the basis for measurement of "right
angles to the
> river." Also, the river bank and the river current run at quite
different
> angles where the VAWV line strikes them. Which would we
use?

i think perpendicular to the low water mark along the right bank
would be the proper application of the equidistance principle

& it would have to be applied thru the extant vawv terminal point

but of course just locating the low water mark anywhere is
already the main difficulty

perhaps a good proxy tho would be a line proceeding from the
vawv terminal perpendicular to the middle of the river

i am in process of reviewing the various possible angles

> End of insertions.
>
> > for another difficulty is that there is no obvious trace of the
ridge
> > line anywhere within the river defile
> >
> > a few taller boulders among all the rubble perhaps
> > but really just a bunch of random dots to wishfully connect
> >

> > but in any case there we have at least 3 different possible
> > stitches to choose from
> > each producing a different tripoint position
> >
> > i mean
> > to choose from once we decide on how to precisely
determine