Subject: Re: DCMDVAN via Potomac Heritage Trail
Date: Sep 22, 2004 @ 19:12
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
<bjbutler@b...> wrote:

> We should keep an eye on the gage at:
>
> http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01646500
>
> When the level is below 2.75 feet, it might be worth a try. Pray
for
> drought.

i can certainly understand the wisdom of praying for drought here

& this site has again proved useful & i think will continue to be
most interesting right thru the imminent retries
both here & at mdvawv

btw i wouldnt mind having a similarly close gage & data bank for
mdvawv too

& while i am dreaming
all the low water data here & there for years past

but anyway
as i grope for an official or at least objective standard for
establishing the low water marks at both dcmdvan & mdvawv
i increasingly wonder why you picked the precise 33 inches
above zero stage referred to above

as opposed to say the federally official zero stage itself
for whatever authority or truth that might represent
or even might merely suggest

or as opposed again to say any other imaginable low water level

but also
as i was juggling all these increasingly complicated thoughts
& wondering if there might not be a simpler way to determine the
truest available dcmdvan & mdvawv
i recalled that the officially adopted mathews & nelson report is
predicated & based on usgs mapping
& is 99 percent in agreement with the usgs depiction of mdva
below dc
& evidently 100 percent in agreement with it above dc

& i also recalled almost simultaneously that i was once told by a
usgs cartographer
in answer to my asking why idmtwy is incorrectly shown here
http://tinyurl.com/6mstn
that the usgs is not legally responsible for the depiction of any
state lines except those of west virginia

well i couldnt believe my ears at the time & so have never
forgotten this odd tidbit of scuttlebutt
& now cant help observing that if it is true then it would further
validate the usgs depiction
at least of mdvawv
if not also of dcmdvan by association

but in any case the desire for simplicity as well as authority does
lead me to bypass all the above gaging considerations for
determining the true positions of these 2 tripoints
in favor of just carefully cribbing their geocoords directly from the
paper copies of the usgs topos
which
after so much has been said & done
are indeed looking not only as accurate but as definitive as can
be

so
my reasoning continues
just using these mapped points as gps target points should at
least get us within 10 feet of the truth

& moreover we believe we may have marker generated lines
available in both cases on which to center those 10 feet of truth

so i think that procedure
using both gps & markers
might represent the actual state of the try
on both of these elusive points

& would you come with your inflatable kayak

but it might be too crazy

at mdvawv there are warning signs against even thinking of
going in the river