Subject: Re: Tex-Mex bridge error and a new tripoint photo!
Date: Sep 19, 2004 @ 00:51
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "robedsall"
<robedsall@a...> wrote:

I'll try
> again - it may mean calling the Border Patrol ahead, saying I'm
> geography professor (that often buys me a little consideration),
and
> being escorted to the monument. Anyone (altheiak? Lowell?)
have
> experience with this?

i realize it keeps getting crazier down there
but until very recently i have always just acted like i owned the
place & never worried about anything

the border patrol is really no sweat unless you have some weed
or something in your pocket when you pass a dog
or something like that
putting you at actual risk

otherwise they really are a bunch of nice people as you saw

& so far as i know
brickyard road on the right bank is public all the way to the border

the only tripoint i would definitely call ahead on tho is idmtwy
for the forest service to give you the key to a locked gate that will
save you lots of up & down hiking

> Incidentally, NM highway 9, which now extends from Columbus
to Santa
> Teresa NM (near El Paso), was my route out of town, at night.
It was
> on my map but a challenge to find... it's not well marked, I
found
> out later, because it is an EXTREMELY DANGEROUS road,
particularly at
> night. The woman at New Mex. St. U. I told about my trip said,
"YOU
> WENT ON HY 9? MAN YOU'RE BRAVE!" Apparently, coyotes,
and now
> Muslims who are literally killing the coyotes for territory rights,
> will carjack you and leave you out in the desert. I passed a
couple
> of BP trucks on the 40-mile stretch, but apparently I took my life
in
> my hands without knowing it. Ignorance is bliss. Suggestion:
stay
> on the Interstate about 40 miles north. HY 9 is not particularly
> interesting (other than the fact that you could DIE!).
>
> rob

nice going
i have been looking for that mysterious road myself
& obviously you were having too much fun to die just then

or else those auspicious bp trucks were your good luck ticket

seriously tho
our fantastic trypointing pastime may often seem dangerous
but you are always safe when you are having fun