Subject: Tex-Mex bridge error and a new tripoint photo!
Date: Sep 17, 2004 @ 05:27
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Whoa! There's a serious geographical error at http://tinyurl.com/6bwgj on this
Tex-Mex border bridge pics site.

The two railroad bridges in this photo are not international bridges between the
USA and Mexico, but rather interstate bridges between Texas and New Mexico.
They are about a quarter-mile north of the dry boundary coming in from the west.
Neither are these bridges Santa Fe (properly Burlington Northern Santa Fe).
They are Union Pacific (formerly Southern Pacific). The two railroad bridges in
the site's "Santa Fe II" photo are international, and the US portions of both
are Burlington Northern Santa Fe.

For proof of the error, please see the topographic map at
http://tinyurl.com/5jewe .

I have sent a message of correction via the site's contact form.

While we are on this subject, I note that TerraServer now has given us "Urban
Area" aerial photos of greater El Paso since we last visited CHNMTX
(Chihuahua-New Mexico-Texas) in BP. These urban aerials are much more zoomable
than the regular aerials. If you will go to http://tinyurl.com/6rnza , you will
see dry MXUS coming toward the river just above the dark grove of trees near the
lower left. That would put the tripoint in the middle of the river channel
below the dam. Isn't that Boundary Monument No. 1 almost under the northernmost
point of the dark trees? You can click it to zoom in one more level to see.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA