Subject: Re: Possible BNCNMYTWVN 5-Country Reef and Obelisk
Date: Sep 11, 2004 @ 03:29
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

so i still think i was right to say louisa reef with 5 claimants is the
hottest real estate on earth
tho not necessarily the hottest real estate under the sea
if mikes putative 6country pentagon holds up

the problem with the maritime claims however is that since the
sea follows the land
you cant know for sure who really owns the sea
even theoretically
until you sort out who really owns the islands in it

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> I agree that the map at
> http://cat.middlebury.edu/southchinasea/macand/
> shows Louisa Reef outside the Vietnamese claim, but not
outside the "Taiwanese"
> claim.
>
> The CIA says at
> http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/pg.html
> that "all of the Spratly Islands are claimed by China, Taiwan,
and Vietnam."

> The map shows it within the "China Claim." This Chinese
claim is apparently
> based on ages of seasonal visits by fishermen from Hainan
(although they were
> probably not the only ones to do so). When the occupying
Japanese were defeated
> in 1945, the Republic of China (the only China at the time)
established a
> garrison of Marines on Itu Aba, the largest of the Spratlys (90
acres), which
> has been maintained more or less continuously ever since. In
1949, the
> communists took control of the mainland portions of China
and established the
> People's Republic of China, while the ROC retained Taiwan,
the Pescadores,
> Quemoy, Matsu, etc. Of course both the PRC and the ROC
claimed all of China,
> and the PRC later established its own activities on several of
the Spratlys.

> Thus, both the ROC and the PRC are in the Spratlys, and
apparently both claim to
> be the successor to whatever age-old claim China might have.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

5-Country Reef and Obelisk