Subject: Re: special to brian & all aspiring missouri canoeists
Date: Sep 05, 2004 @ 03:35
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

well
before finally settling on the jetboat
i did indeed launch my canoe into the big sioux just as you
recommend
from a picnic area not far above its mouth
hoping to paddle &or drift down with the current & out onto the
missouri
& only then to decide whether to risk cutting diagonally across
the bigger & stiffer river to the tripoint position just below the
confluence

however
the wind was so strong that it drove me straight up the big sioux
despite my paddling furiously down it

quite the picture

& after much effort i was scarcely able to regain my starting point
tho only by landing & rope walking the canoe back downstream
before wisely pulling it out & gladly heading for the jetboat
as the wind only increased after that

& i also bailed out after putting my canoe in at ksmone
& almost immediately swamping in the choppier currents there
before finally making that point too in a flat bottomed boat with an
outboard motor

& at iamone i knew better than to even try to put in
& am rather proud of my twin class d visits there
so far
made from both equally hard to reach banks
when i think of what might have happened had i persisted with
the canoe

nor were these just 3 isolated incidents but encores of the
several months i had already spent farther upriver at the
standing rock sioux reservation

in my experience the upper missouri is almost always both
windy & choppy
& you would have been quite lucky to make any of these 3 points
in a canoe on most any day
& i sincerely hope you wont even try to prove your point

& yelps
there is nothing at all extreme about your supposedly extreme
land points in cases where the true extremities are not on land

quite the contrary

thats why extremities are called & prized as the extremities that
they are

better to call such visits as you define below relative extremes
or compromises
or accommodations
or proxies
or surrogacies
or something else

in a word anything but extremities

but anyway
you have done so many of these
whatever they are
that i am still looking forward to your first complete news tour of
them of any place

that really will be news on some level

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
<bjbutler@b...> wrote:
> You said a jetboat is "recommended" for IANESD. Sorry for
extending
> your meaning to "necessary." However, I wouldn't even
recommend a
> jetboat because it is easy enough to visit this wet-point by
kayak or
> canoe. I think we visited during average water conditions. In
fact
> it had been raining across the Dakotas for several days before
the
> visit. The current was quite manageable and the water was
flat. I
> don't think a canoe would be any problem at all, either on the
Big
> Sioux or the Missouri in the vicinity of IANESD.
>
> Regarding SDS, of course I visited "dry" SDS because, as you
noted, I
> only count dry NEWS points. In fact, that is how I define them
(i.e.
> northernmost, easternmost, westernmost, and southernmost
points of
> land) and I would call visiting all four thus-defined extreme
points a
> complete NEWS tour. I suggest we combine my definition with
your
> likely reaction and call these YELPS (Yikes, extreme land
points).

<aletheiak@y...> wrote:
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
> > <bjbutler@b...> wrote:
> > > Re: IANESD
> > >
> > > A jet-ski is not necessary for IANESD. You can either put in
> > canoe
> >
> > yikes
> > i didnt say or mean the jetboat is necessary here
> > but it is a nice easy charter they give you from the municipal
dock

> > & a kayak i would believe
> > but not a canoe
> >
> > i have never felt secure in a canoe anywhere on the missouri
> > & am astonished you are recommending one here of all
places
> > unless if you visited in unusually slack water on an unusually
> > calm day
> >
> > this extreme canoe caution applies equally to iamone &
ksmone
> > & comes from one who has made a dozen other points this
way
> > most of them precariously enough without high wind or
currents

http://ns36.super-hosts.com/~bjbsoftware.com/corners/pointdet

http://www.public.asu.edu/~redsall/triplepoints/june2004/5.htm

http://www.public.asu.edu/~redsall/triplepoints/june2004/19.htm