Subject: Re: Interesting geography in switzerland & My soliloquy
Date: Aug 19, 2004 @ 16:32
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Just picking up on an old discussion here (Arif and Chris discussed
this strange border situation in Switzerland):

The border between the cantons of Vaud (exclave of Avenches and
Cudrefin) and Bern at the Canal de la Broye (near La Sauge) was put
into question. It looked like the Vaud border followed the centre
line of the canal, while the Bern border followed the north bank of
it, thus leaving the northern half of the canal to the canton of
Fribourg/Freiburg. First it was thought that Fribourg/Freiburg
continued all this way to the Neuchâtel lake, ending in a tiny
triangle of land (with a bird watching tower) north of the mouth of
the Canal de la Broye, but then I found proof of that triangle
belonging to Neuchâtel canton.

Now I have visited the map site of Neuchâtel canton at
http://www.ne.ch/ ( http://tinyurl.com/pzkd ), and although at a
larger scale the situation is not very clear, at 1:50000 and 1:25000
the border of Bern can be seen, running along the northern bank. Now
the interesting part is where Fribourg/Freiburg reaches Neuchâtel.
The Fribourg/Freiburg half of the canal is continuing another 400 m
or so after reaching the CH2BEFRNE tripoint, up to the point where
the CH2FRNE border is turning towards the centre of the canal (at
this point in between the breakwaters on both sides of the Canal de
la Broye mouth into the Lac de Neuchâtel), towards the tripoint
CH2FRNEVD.

So this stretch of CH2BEVD boundary really doesn't exist; what does
exist is a tiny stretch of CH2FRNE.

Peter

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"